Depressed, tilt and trim issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Bowen

Reaction score
92 nitro 180tf, first boat I've ever had. I saved for this thing forever. My tilt and trim will work sometimes on BOTH the handle AND the motor switch and at it will just stop working at both switches. But the switches on the front of the boat work 100% all the time. Really grateful for that haha. If you guys have ever had an issue like that and you got a minute I'd appreciate some advice.

The PDF file shows the trim switch wiring for my boat. I don't see any reason why the bow switch always works, but at times both the throttle and motor switches don't. That being said, after making sure connections at the battery and the motor are good, I would check the connector from the throttle to the engine harness for corrosion. The next time it happens, see if moving and pulling on the wires under the helm corrects the problem - especially the engine harness and the wires going to the throttle. As the throttle is moved, the trim wires are subject to abrasion.
Intermittent electrical problems can be a real pain to find and then turns out to be something simple to fix.
Let us know what you find. Your problem just doesn’t make sense to me, but neither does the theory of relativity.

Attachments

• Trim Switches.pdf
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
The PDF file shows the trim switch wiring for my boat. I don't see any reason why the bow switch always works, but at times both the throttle and motor switches don't. That being said, after making sure connections at the battery and the motor are good, I would check the connector from the throttle to the engine harness for corrosion. The next time it happens, see if moving and pulling on the wires under the helm corrects the problem - especially the engine harness and the wires going to the throttle. As the throttle is moved, the trim wires are subject to abrasion.
Intermittent electrical problems can be a real pain to find and then turns out to be something simple to fix.
Let us know what you find. Your problem just doesn’t make sense to me, but neither does t

I appreciate the diagrams. I will absolutely track it down. I took the throttle handle completely off today and found a harness that was connected to the wires from the switch on it. There was significant corrosion like you said. I cleaned em up and put it back together. I'll have to just wait and see if it happens again. There's just no way for me to check it since it does it randomly. It's exhausting, if that didn't fix it... then I'm just gonna follow those diagrams and look for something loose. Thanks again

I've used electric cleaner on the switches , always helped

Latest posts

Back