92 Nitro 180tf

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Bowen

Reaction score
92 nitro 180tf, first boat I've ever had. I saved for this thing forever. My tilt and trim will work sometimes on BOTH the handle AND the motor switch and at it will just stop working at both switches. But the switches on the front of the boat work 100% all the time. Really grateful for that haha. If you guys have ever had an issue like that and you got a minute I'd appreciate some advice.

It's either a switch issue or more likely, a wiring issue. It's possible, but not probable that both the throttle and engine switches would go out at the same time. It's not a relay issue, since the front tilt/trim switch works 100% of the time. Start with the tilt/trim on the engine, since that will be the easiest to trace. Examine the wires from the switch to the tilt/trim, looking for loose connections or corrosion. If none of that is evident, note the position of the 3 wires on the switch (red, green, blue). Red is the 12v power. Disconnect the wires from the switch and touch the red wire to the blue wire. The motor should raise the engine. Touch the red wire to the green wire. The motor should lower. You'll need to do this multiple times, since the tilt/trim works sporadically. The motor should move every time. If it doesn't, it's the wiring. If it moves every time, then it's the switch.

I have the same boat, they are great boats. Last time I used mine, my trim also failed to operate. However, mine wouldn't work at either at either switch location. In my case its probably a relay problem. Yours has to be switch or wiring. I am fixing to build a front deck extension to my boat. Then have it re-carpeted. I am also going to remove the seat over the ice chest and build a raised step to access the rear deck.

Attachments

• boat tire.21.jpg
    boat tire.21.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back