How do y'all store your soft plastics bags?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R.

Reaction score
How do you guys store all of your bags with your worms, tubes, etc.? I have accumulated way too many to fit inside my tackle box and am looking for a neat, convenient way to store them on my boat. I probably have around 25 different bags of stuff now and who knows how many more before the tackle monkey leaves me alone. You know how it is, you see something different and think hmmm....that might work on this lake or wherever! Anyway, I was looking for ideas on how you guys do it. Thanks.

I have all but stopped trying to keep everything in my boat. I installed two 4x8 ft peg boards on the garage wall and hang all my soft plastics just like just like they do in the tackle shops. When I

25 bags... is that all?

I've done it two ways... the 'big' plano box:

2-3731.jpg

http://www.backwatersonline.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=5103

and I've used the Gallon size ziplocks...

There are other systems out there, even one that lets you hang the bags on the locker lids....

I recently (just this year.. havent tried it out on the water much) converted most of my plastics into the 3700 planos... all out of the bags... allows me to more quickly find what i'm looking for... or so I hope.

But if you only got 25 bags... one empty bag from Walmart ought to 'organize it' :D

ftr, I went from 8 of the big empties to 15 3700s... one for each 'style' of plastic, then subdivided into colors (2 for tubes, 2 for finesse worms)... Now when I'm looking for the baby brush hog in smoke purple with red flakes that works when the water has 3' of clarity and the cloud coverage is at 45%, and water temps havent quite reached 72.5, on tuesdays... I'll know exactly where it is...

Bait monkey never stops!

Take a look at some tupperware books: I bought tupper ware containers with sealable lids to keep my soft plastics in. I just filled one with $135.00 worth of sunami baits.:)

I use the "worm book" zippered binders. I have separate bags for each style, lizards, senko's etc.

I'm with Woody. I pretty much use a zippered binder for each type of plastic. Works great and really no wasted space. I also use the same type of binder for spinnerbaits. Works out great.

I use the peg board system. I bought over 7000 bags last year when a tackle store went out of business. I have sold over 1000 bags and still have way to many to carry.

I only carry what will work based on conditions. This keeps me focused.

I use the BPS extreme binder bags and i have them organised by bait type. I use both the single and double sided ones. They work great. I carry a pile of plastics, i think i carry 8 or 9 of these total.. here is a pict of what they look like.

Single

42220.jpg

double

42215.jpg

Gallon ziplock bags acording to style or color. Senko, fluke, light brush hogs, dark brush hogs, dropshot, large worms, lizards, trailers, etc. The needed bags then go into a gym bag to be put in the boat. Works the best for me and is cheap.

I can't store all my plastics as I have gym bags full hanging on nails all over my garage and in my cartoon stuido. Some of the stuff goes back to about 1980. I can't store it in all in the boat as I'd need a container ship. I think you can measure it all in metric tonnes. Couple years ago I found six packages of Mann's Jelly worms in black with blue paddletails. Still had the price sticker from Bass Pro Shops and sales slip circa 1984. I have some really wierd baits. Which leads me to make a post later.

I already have new bags of senkos, gulps etc ready to go and I still have last years left overs. Some kind of wierd compulsion that the current year's better than the previous part of my OCD problem. I am getting better. I used to replace all my reels annually. So far I've only bought four new baitcasters.

I did buy a plastic tote like a open topped carpenters toolbox. All baits are visible and it fits in one of my rod lockers. I can tell pretty easy what needs to be restocked. This keeps the 30 pound bags out of the boat.

I set it on the front deck when I'm fishing and stow it when underway.

fatrap

I like the idea Clueless has. I can only imagine how easy it would be to invetory what might be needed :cool:

We just buy 25 pounds of Mann's original jelly worms in 4 different colors at the beginning of the season and your done. 20 in a bag, grab a bag or 2 when you head out and it's all you need.

I keep mine in Rubbermaid boxes that I bought at Wal-Mart. One for tubes, one for worms, one for flukes....you get the idea. I had five and was running out of room but I couldn't find the exact same kind that I had before. I liked them because they have a hinged lid and a latch. Anyway I bought two more but I have decided to do a major cull. A lot of that stuff I never use...I must be lugging around 50 pounds of plastic. I could probably squeeze a couple more mph's if I just thinned things out.

Harpo

Harpo

Have you ever weighted your 17 rods and reels and ten possum bellied tackleboxes? You'd probably get 5 or 6mph.

fatrap

I went with SoonerFan's set up this year myself. So far it has made things neater. I will see what it looks like at the end of the year.

Clark

Store plastics???

I thought that was what the boat was for, a floating tackle box....

I have tow boxes like Simmy's got just for Powerworms and another for everything else...

I use the double binder like Jim has above. I keep a spare 'gallon zip lock' with odd and ends in it, in the boat. I also have a very small zip bag that I can keep about 8-10 mfg's bags in, when I'm non-boating and don't want to take the double bag.

I just really realized that I was carrying WAY TOO MUCH plastic with me. On my recent trip to Santee for 2 days, I used a fluke, zoom vibe tail worm, pitching tube (2), finesse worm and a floating worm (2 of the same). Basically one each.

Last year when I really analyzed what I actually used, I cut way back.

Tex

i use a tupperware box its about 6" tall and about 18" long and 12" wide. They are waterproff and float (lid on tight) and I use a marker to ID the box (lizards, tubes, creature, finesse, paddle curl and etc. they are stacked in the boat and its is easy to get to and work with.

I buy the small (6-pack size) soft-sided coolers at wally-world for about 5 bucks....

They work great....I think I'm up to 7 or 8, each with a different 'type' of plastic...

The extra pockets give you room for other goodies too...and they're waaaaaaaay cheaper than anything called a 'tacklebox or tackle organizer'....

az

Andy, that sounds like a heck of an idea....I'm going to try that.

Harpo

Back