How Did You Get Back In?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
I think BJ's question on falling out of the boat got us all to thinking about that sort of thing a little more. What I'm wondering is once you fall out and live to laugh about it how do you haul your carcass back in the boat. I know when I've taken my son and his friends tubing they need a hand to get back in and they're only 13 or 14 years old. I've thought about a ladder but don't want to mess with one of those hang over the side ski boat ladders.

Harpo

Simple - put one of these on if you can. I think Trepper also put one on his rig. I think it is Triton that has the small pole ladder as a standard item on some of their boats now just in case you go in the drink.

david.....
2003_0804_SwimPlatform.jpg

I patrol a small lake for the local Boy Scout Council. One an adult fishing day, a very large woman fell out of her rowboat. No matter how hard we pulled and yanked, we couldn't get her mass over the gunwale. (Please don't take offense at this if you're a female. It just happened that the person overboard was a woman; a large man would have been just as difficult to rescue.)

Our only remaining course of action was to have her hang on to the side of the boat while we used the electric trolling motor to move us to shore. She could then climb into our boat.

I've often thought that if I couldn't get into the boat, the best bet would be to hang on to the transom and kick for shore, steering the boat as I go. But you could get tired doing that.

It's an interesting question!

i pull my self up over the side, on bad fishing days i jump in to cool off.

i wount be able to do this when i get older, so hopefullly all manufactures will employ the great idea that Triton came up with and install some sort of ladder on there boats.

Use the caviation plate on the outboard for a step and hug the outboard until you can stand on the plate. Other than "flopping" over the side, it is the easiest way for me to get in a bass boat while in the water.

Mini

I've installed ladders on both my boats. They really don't get in the way as much as you would think.

I'm a poor swimmer. One of my biggest fears has always been of falling overboard when out by myself and not being able to climb back in.....

me!

But when doing that, make sure the motor is trimmed perfectly perpendicular to the boat as to make a good level step, and still be careful. One slip and a foot across a SS prop spells ER and stitches. But I agree, the easiest way back into a bass boat is off the cavitation plate.

I did like Mini. I used the Cavitation plate on my motor.

John

Mine's not as fancy as David's (I realy like that David, which I'd have put that on, looks great.

Here is a picture of mine
ladder.JPG

I had the guy tow me to shore the first time. Second time, I pulled the boat to shore. Aluminum boats are easy to push around :)

Trepper, I like the looks of that ladder. I think that's one I could live with.

Have any of you seen the ones that come on the new Tritons? There's good picture of it on page 8 of the Oct Bassmaster magazine. Something like that would be just the thing for an aftermarket add on type item (without the stow-away feature of course). Actually it doesn't look all that hard to fabricate out of some aluminum channel stock.

This is something to consider. One article I read said that over half of the 700 boating deaths each year are anglers and many of them are wearing floatation devices but die from exposure because they couldn't get back in the boat.

When the weather warms up I think I may take a few practice dunks and get a game plan.

Harpo

I found an easier way. I always keep some extra rope in just about every comprtment for emegencies. One day my wife and I decide to take a dip..now I didn't have a hard time gettin' in but, my wife did and she didn't have a bunch of insulated clothes on either...which gave me an idea.

Now I just swim to the side back compartment(which I can reach in the water) and keep a small hook I made from aluminum that will hook around the back seat post or just about anywhere on the back transom to get a grip...it gives you just enough leverage to pull yourself in.

The biggest problem when being dunked in the drink is not being able to get your feet on something solid or grab something solid enough...the hook eleviates the problem. Never HAD to use it in an emergency yet...but, have tested it and if it works for the woman...then that's all I need.

TEE

Tee - nice in warmer weather. Now think about doing it in 30-40-50 degree water, in long pants, long johns, a heavy jacket, gloves, boots/shoes and possibly no lifejacket. I can't imagine trying to do it all dressed up and in cold water. I would imagine just getting up my ladder would be difficult in all those clothes.

david.....

True...but, I bet I'd have a better chance than you without a ladder.....:)

The Jan 2004 edition of the Boat US magazine gives the web page for a company manufacturing a boarding ladder like that on a Triton. The page is www.garelick.com.

I have a tv-18 and am still looking for a simple ladder to install.
http://www.garelick.com

Hey a BIG THANX JAN....that's just what I'm lookin' for. Somethin' you can remove...aha!

Back