Help-Hole in my hull!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Ferendo

Reaction score
I bought a used Pro17 and after taking it out today for the first time I discovered a good bit of water in the boat. Fortunately the bilge pump works but I can't stand the idea of a leaking boat. I found two areas on the hull where about six rivets were taped over. Obviously the previous owner had tried to solve the problem himself. Can any good metal working shop fix this or does it need to go to a boat dealer? Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

I'm by no means a Mr. Fix-It, but I managed to put a small dent around one of the rivets on my boat when the river was a wee bit on the low side. I filled in the affected area all around the rivet with JB-Weld, and it seems to be holding up just fine.

Are the rivits missing ?? There has been discussions in the past on replacing missing/loose rivits. Do a search and see what turns up.

If they are just a little loose. I prefer gasket maker. A good quality Perma Tex type brand found at any local auto parts store. It will flex and not crack like JB weld.

If you can find grey, all the better.:D

Found some good info for replacing rivets using the search feature. Magna19 was the rivet expert, but I haven't seen him post recently. Still lots of good info that might help you along.

Let me guess, they are just below where you feet rest? These are driven rivets and removal of the floor will be required to fix them the right way. First things first. Get the boat as level as possible and fill the bilge with water and see where it leaks out. This is a lot easier than trying to find out where it leaks in. If you don't see anything that way, fill your livewells with water and see if the leak is there. Also check all through hull fittings. Then you can figure out how to attack your problem.

BF

Steve I know a guy in Rosedale who does great work and I guess the area because I had the same thing on my txs17. You could drill them out and replace with pull type rivets and silicone the heck out of them? You could just add an auto bilge pump?

BF

Back