H3T

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Ok, so I see this commercial that catches my eye. A Hummer truck. So, I look it up tonight on the internet. Lots of uses for just about everything I like to do, fishing, offroading, kayaking, ATV's, etc. All kinds of aftermarket accessories. 100K powertrain warranty. Incentives (or employee pricing if I flash the smile at Mac). Nice, cool (yes I am a car snob), AMERICAN truck (said I wouldn't own one) for under $30K. I was almost there....until..... MPG 13/16mpg....which really means.....11/14 in the real world. How can you sell cars these days with the kind of mileage. Mac, say it aint so??????

H3T powertrain is same as GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado, different rear gear to move that extra weight. I believe the H3 offers more cabin room. Chevy.GMC rated at around 18 & 23.

I don't like them Teri,Drove one It just Isn't quite there like the Big ones, get a Vette...

Haven't driven one, but standing next to it gave me visions of the Ringling Bros. when the tiny car drives in and six clowns hop out. :lol: That thought is way more my fault than the vehicle designer. :D

I actually looked at it used before buying my Magnum, Loved the looks/style but the I5 from the Canyon/colorado is really too under powered. If it had the old 4.3ltr v-6 I think its tow rating and performance would be better.

You can get the H3T with a V8 5.3L. Gas mileage gets even worse at that point.

I just don't understand why it's so hard to make a truck or SUV that is capable of towing an 18/19 foot bass boat that gets 20-25mpg on highway when NOT towing.

Trep, I can see you climbing out of a Hummer.:p

Teri,

You can get that kind of mileage with a diesel...I get consistant 20MPG highway no boat and then 13-15 towing my 520.

You may want to look there...of course, there is the extra gouging going on for diesel prioces now so the payback is a bit slower for the intial outlay for the motor.

Why doesn't Crysler put the diesel engine in the 4 door Jeep Wrangler. I would be all over it!

Trep.. I had the 4.3V6 in my previous truck and and I can honestly say this DOHC I5/Colorado tows better for me: and, when not towing "local" and get out on the road, still get over 20 mpg while towing the (admittedly light) old tin boat. with the 3.73 rear gear too.

But, like everything else in life, there are lots of varied experiences when everything else seems to be the same, so I respect that, and only offer this as "my experience".

the additional weight on the H3 even with different gearing I think is definitely underpowered though.

Teri, I know what this post is really about.

Don't do it.

:)

Im not at all surprised that the i5 does that bad on fuel. It is moving a vehicle that weighs over 5k and that has to make that i5 work a little harder and use more fuel.

I am surprised that the v8 would be worse in that vehicle. the 5.3l is one of the most fuel efficient v8 motors you can get in a truck/suv. I would think it would do a little better then the i5 since it wont be working nearly as hard. At the end of the day i dont think it matters with a vehicle like a Hummer since the vast majority of them are bought for the image and never get used for thier intended purpose.

I just don't understand why it's so hard to make a truck or SUV that is capable of towing an 18/19 foot bass boat that gets 20-25mpg on highway when NOT towing.

Actually they do make some that can get 20 freeway when not towing. My truck is a fine example of that. I have a Silverado Z71 4wd with a 5.3l motor and it will get 20mpg on the freeway all day when the boat isnt hitched to it and ~15 in town and when the boat is hitched to it i hardly know its there. I just took a trip to WV last week and i averaged 20.5mpg for the entire trip both there and back. I had myself, a friend, a dog, a weeks worth of junk and beer for both of us and a pile of tools that my friend brought to work on another friend of our's house.

Rich, ya think I want a new car.....

Well, I would BUT the economy stinks, gas will go back up, I might not have a job from day to day, and the BMW I have I got dirt cheap and it gets 24-25mpg on highway doing 80mph. It tows my boat, not well, but its good enough for mostly short trips to the ramp.

Would I like something new? Yes but the 25mpg has kept me in check!

Great buys out there Teri go get a New Something,It's In your Blood,,,Gotta have it, now go get IT....:)

Teri,.....People who really need and want a Hummer,....don't care about mileage. It's a tool for them. Get one....and YES,..I can get you the employee discount (atleast I think it's still available!!) Act fast though.....GM's gonna whack another 10% of the salaried force starting today.....I may not be around much longer!! (And,...I'll be selling a helluva lot of fishing stuff CHEAP if that happens!!):blink::(

I suppose I am too leary of my job and the economy right now to buy a new car. Fine with what I got. How's that Rich?

I will say it again Teri.....get a Yukon or Tahoe hybrid. They are getting 24mpg...you can put all you want in it AND not worry about someone stealing something from the bed.

If I were to get a new vehicle, it would be the Tahoe Hybrid.

tahoe_hybrid.jpg

Hey mac I am already to sell a heck of alot of fishing stuff,Including a Big ole Boat..Still I am going to get a new 09 Silverado..Got an 08 for sale 2,000 miles on It Great truck..Got to help the economy...JR

Mini, I would love a Tahoe Hybrid but they are $50,000 plus. I can't justify that fo ra new car especially since I may find myself unemployed. I will be waiting around for a used one some day. Unless.....you want to marry me so I can be a kept woman....but I aint moving to Michigan.:p

Is that a proposal? And how kept would you actually be if you didnt live here? lol

Hell if you make enough I will be a kept man, full time guide and even cook for you...:)

Ok back to reality....I dont want Mac to get upset with the indecent proposal....lol

Ah, but you, Mini, would have to give up your Hooter girls and I don't think that's possible!

Sigh!:p

Teri - I just looked her up on Carsdirect.com, WOW didn't know they made the 5.3 V-8 for the little H3, that thing would PULL nicely! IT also takes the tow weight from 4400lbs to 5900lbs. Though your 750 and my 700lx don't weigh more then around 25-2700lbs. But cool truck!

Pondscum - Good to here you are happy with the I5 and the mileage. I had the 4.3 in my 87 Jimmy, and loved it. I test drove the canyon crew cab and didn't feel near the torque and pull I had in the 4.3.

But you are right, in something as heavy as the H3, need a big V6 or that 8.

I here ya Mac....everybody needs to cross their fingers:huh:

trepman.. Had the 4.3 in both an 91 and a 95 S10. They had good low end grunt for sure, but they just didnt seem to have the broad range this i5 does. while it dont get into it very often, those DOHCs kick in when you stretch out the rpm range. I towed a box trailer full of college dorm crap, probably well over the 3500 lb suggested limit, through kentucky and tennessee to nashville and while it kept wanting to kick down a gear with Cruise control ON I could easily feather it through those hills and keep it in the OD gear. Thats the secret on this thing to the mileage,, keeping that torque converter locked up and watching the tach drop down below 2.

I still believe that there is something to do with how you break them in.... old school thoughts probably, but mine took about 1000 miles to start getting to the point where the engine just felt "loose"

Trepman.. I forgot one last thing..... many of the "on the lot" Canyon/colorado I saw when first looking had the more economical 3.42 (I think) gearing, which was noticably less grunt (to me).

I have better girls than the Hooter girls :)

They are Gator Girls....

Latest posts

Back