Gas in bilge..?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinboater

Reaction score
2016 Tracker 175txw Smelled strong odor of gas. I checked all fittings, everything okay. So I pulled the floor cup holder and discovered the bilge was full of gas. Other than a breach in the tank, is there anything else that would cause this?

Split tank, loose hose clamp, there is also a check valve that can get jacked up and cause problems. The vent line could have come disconnected from the through the hull vent. Inspect all the hose/ connections. Tighten hose clamps if loose.

Is there raw fuel (liquid) standing in the bilge? Or just strong fumes?

Not to insult your intellect or mechanical prowess but be careful. Fuel / fumes make me pucker when something isn't right.

Raw fuel, about 8 gallons... I've looked everywhere, no drips, no leaks so I'm assuming there must be a crack in the tank. I filled the tank with water and sawzawed the top off, no visible breach but water now in bilge.. must be a crack somewhere. Thanks for the reply.

(I'm just happy the float switch didn't kick on!)

A screw that holds the tank down fall out and letting fuel out? my 2 cents. or did you drill or screw something in recently that you didn't know went into the tank and is leaking. Another two cents.

Back