Getting water in the bilge.....Oh No

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Scully

Reaction score
Yep, I checked to make sure the plug is in and a tight fit.

First noticed the problem when fishing with the daughter/son-in-law/ and wife.

We bought the 188 Sport used, so need some ideas. Ran into a honey hole for crappies, started pulling them in pretty fast, all keeper sized. Turned on the live well up front and in the rear. after a couple of hours decided to move. pulled up the troll motor, stored the fishing gear and everyone donned their life vests. left the "honey hole" and when safe...gave the boat the throttle. . Holy Cow, stern sitting heavy, won't come on plane, running bow high. Pulled the center floor locker and it was full of water. Started the bilge pump, turned towards a marina with a loading ramp about 1 mile away. When we got to the ramp dock we were still pumping water, not as much but sure put a damper on our outing...Question...do you think the live wells may be leaking or over filling. The fish we caught were still alive. At a loss, need suggestions.....Capt. Scully.....Guess I will be installng an auto bilge pump to go with the wired one.

If the livewells leak, the boat will fill to the water level. I know, it happened to me. That's why I now have 2 automatic bilge pumps. If the livewell fill doesn't shutoff, and the livewell has a leak, you need to find a lake that isn't higher than your boat.

If the livewells leak, the boat will fill to the water level. I know, it happened to me. That's why I now have 2 automatic bilge pumps. If the livewell fill doesn't shutoff, and the livewell has a leak, you need to find a lake that isn't higher than your boat.
Thanks great analogy....Capt. Scully

try filling the live wells full of water then check for leaks. plug the lower live well fill so the lines are full of water also.
Sometimes the live well doesn't get drained during the winter and can freeze the lines, causing cracks.

Thanks for the feed back. Having a hard time trying to adjust to the climate in Missouri, not used to the freezing wx. , Lordy I miss Key West.

Attachments

• evening sunset at the beach.jpg
    evening sunset at the beach.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back