Floation under the floor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo F

Reaction score
Ok Gang, Got the floor out of my Pro-16 over the weekend. It was fairly easy with the wood being a bit wasted. I'm planning on using 1/8 alum as a replacement with some new carpet. Questions is...anyone know where to get the foam sheets that were under the floor? Some is very usable, some shot. I'd like to replace it all for good job. I need something that would not absorb water of course, about 2 inched thick and 10 inched wide. Any help is great.

geo

the foam under the floor is usually poured in or blown in with a gun.it expands and fills the gaps.the foam is expensive to buy,it is in a 2 part form,a resin and a catalyst.boatus and any other marine supply house should have it.

the stuff you buy in the can at lowes/home depot would work,but you cannot break the skin of it from what i have been told,this breaks the waterproof barrier.the trick is to put in just enough to fill the gap without overfilling it,pushing out stringers,buckling hull and so on.

Check with your local Tracker Dealer , they may have a floation kit for their Grizzly jon boat that would work well for this application.

Kathy

Does anyone know if this will affect the Coast Guard rating of the hull??

david.....

Geo--

Where are you located.I am assuming by your e-mail some where up over the summit?

I went through the same thing with mine.I was told the stuff in a can will not work.It is not closed cell and will eventully soak up water.The stuff in the sheets is no good either,as you can tell.

Call Lakeside Marina on route 40 and see if they can pour it for you.If not call Donegal Marine,thats who poured mine for me.They had a little bit left over from a job,so I got a pretty good deal.

Somebody posted a link to a place where you can order it and pour it yourself,I will see if I can find it for you.

Remember,it's all that's keeping your boat from sinking if anything ever happens,would hate to sink a boat becuase of a forgotten drain plug :( and $50 worth of foam.

Steve

Back