Eskimo dogs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott lewis

Reaction score
I am considering A dog. The kids want one.

Anyone had esperiences with the eskimo dogs. My mind is blank on the actual Breed

Any imput would help.

sl

Alaskan Huskie is maybe what you mean by Eskimo dog.

Also you can't go wrong with anything in the Lab. Family.

Huskie's are one breed,...and there's Samoieds (sp??) and Keeshonds,...they all look like "eskimo dogs"...but you're probably thinking of the Huskie.

The absolute best dog I have seen for families and kids are Golden retrievers. They have the best temperament and love kids. Never saw a mean or ugly Golden, AND they hunt. Huskies are nice too.

SL,

How old are the kids, will it be an inside or outside dog? Did you want an adult dog or are you looking for a puppy?

I had a Malamute (looks like the dogs in Disney's Snow Dogs) that was great with my kids, but he was happier being outside.

Try local animal shelters and/or the local pound. The best dog I ever had was a pound dog and came recommended by the warden as she "was too nice a dog to put down" You couldn't hurt her physically, but you could hurt her feelings real easy by raising your voice. She was wonderfully gently with small children and was happy to play a bit rougher with adults, but she wouldn't ever give up. What kind of dog? A Pit Bull Terrier. Anyyone who knew her cried like a baby when she was killed when she was hit by a car/truck. I would have another in a heartbeat, but they aren't very good bird dogs.

Let us know what you get.

Sue D.

Might also be a Malamute....In any case, the only dog i have any problem with is the Husky and it is a small one. Huskys do not act like other dogs. Go to a breeder and get the specifics. Is it going to be an inside dog or an outside dog. You put a husky in the house in the summer and you'll get a new dog hair carpet!! How old are your kids? That's a big consideration. When we bought our Weimaranier the breeder would not let a dog go to any family with children under 7. I have been around a couple of Huskys and they are one of the more "instinctive" breeds. They will escape a lot of enclosures, they dig a lot and they are chewers....an honest breeder will fill you in much more than I can.

I actually owned a Champion show dog that was an Afghan Hound. Talk about one MEAN dog...People don't realize that these dogs were bred to hunt AND kill their prey. We Americans sissified them by combing their hair out(bred long so that it could mat up and keep them warm in the mountains) and making them look like big lap dogs. 2 Afghan hounds can hunt (they are sight hounds) run down (they are faster than greyhounds if you put obstacles in front of them, they have pivotable hip joints) and can KILL a snow leopard. That's flat out tough in my book. My dog bit more people than I would like to remember because they would not leave him alone, always wanted to pet or touch him. You outta see the teeth on those things......When I showed him, I had to grab his muzzle when they did the nad check...he would have taken a judges face clean off if I didn't.

TOXIC

Some dogs have a hard time with kids -- My 4 year old grand son almost lost his face to a eskimo type dog. Lucky the owner had a tight hold on his collar. Only 4 stitches -- The dog was put down after he bit another 5year old a month later.

Have had good luck with Labs -- Daughter has a 145# lab the kids ride and goes swimming with.. If you get a water dog --you can take him out on the water with the family.

Good Luck, --Rick

My only problem with a lab is that oil they get on their coat. You GOTTA get them in the water, either a bath or swimming. They have great personalities but I am starting to worry about in-breeding since they are so popular. Goldens are great but boy do they have hair.

TOXIC

My vote is bloodhound! I have a 2 year old that is great. Bloodhounds can be stubborn, but are trainable. Now if you have small kids they may not make the perfect pet. Mine likes to jump sometimes but I am at blame there, because I never broke him from it. Otherwise, if you can get past the slobber you will not find a better mannered and tempered dog. The only draw back is the life span is about 7 years. Iam going to miss mine when he is gone.

Donnie

I sure would love to find a female Blue Tick Coon Hound. Anybody have any leads on one of those.

Malamute is the way to go....gentle, loving, and loyal.

One eye blue and the other brown.

We will always remember Keesha, My brother-in-law had her cremated and her ashes are in his living room.

I've had a Golden and a Lab. It's a tough call as to which is better. The Golden was alot "mellower" then the Lab is. He would just stand there and let kids do anything they wanted. Had him for 14 years. My Lab is a more active participant in the play thing (she's 3). Haven't had a problem with the oily coat on the Lab (can't keep her outa the lake at "Grandma's" house, and she'll jump right into the bathtub if the door is left open), and everyone comments about how soft she is. Must be the vanilla body wash my wife uses to give her a bath. If I had to choose between the two breeds, I'd pick the Lab. Just make sure you go with an established breeder. Don't hesitate to contact the AKC or one of the local hunt trial associations and ask questions about the diffrent breeds, and to recommend a reputable breeder.

Craig

I own a lab as well and have used him for duck and goose hunting for a about 5yrs now. I also have a 4 yr old little girl and he is nice as can be around her. Except if he gets really excited he can beat you to death with that tail.

Also did anybody catch the field dog trails on ESPN during the Great Outdoors Champioship. Man those dogs could follow commands. Put me and my dog to shame for sure.

I have a chocolate lab and he is jsut great!!!Liek JimBob said though, watch that tail!! He is a bit wound up, but he is starting to mellow out, at 3 years old. Good with kids. Was fairly easy to train, but have never hunted with him. He has been to the range and the gunshots do not bother him. He just kinda ignores the sounds.

Carlos

When my dog see that gun point and go off, his eyes are glued to the area i was shooting to see what I hit and where it might be landing. And then if i do get lucky enough to hit something his whole body starts to shake waiting on me to give him the signal to go and get the bird.

I really love watching dogs work. Thats one of the coolest things to me. I have enjoyed watching hunting dogs since I was a little boy. Hopefully that never changes

Scott/slsail, Worked with quite a number of different dogs/breeds. Husks tend to be very pack-oriented and, as I believe someone pointed out, very instinct-driven. Goldens/labs are, of course, among the most "family-oriented", however due to their popularity you need to exercise extreme caution when selecting a breeder. the higher the breed on the registry lists (popularity) the greater the chance of "puppy-mill" breeders for that breed. Wihout knowing the ages of your children and the type of living arrangements (fenced in yard? large yard?), a specific breed recomendation is difficult. What I would suggest, is that you consider breed-specific rescue. For just about every type of breed, there is a rescue organization. Many of these dogs were merely displaced due to moves, children with allergies, deaths of owners, or simply lack of interest. Believe me when I say that a rescued dog can be one of the most loving animals you'll ever encounter. Consider a greyhound rescue? Trained one that was rescued from a track in NH. These guys (and gals) are INCREDIBLE! They come from the track between 2-4 years old typically, and are simply the most affectionate creatures. Contrary to what one might think, they are NOT energy intensive, and are more than happy to just lay and sleep all day if need be (kinda like me some days...). Beware that certain breeds (including the more popular sport dogs) NEED to burn off energy on a regular basis, or they will FIND an outlet (your shoes, the sofa, the bed, etc...). Remember, a typical dog is a 10-15 year investment. Research, research, research. I've placed a link below that will provide you with a number of FAQs and suggestions for selecting a breed. Good luck!
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/selecting-a-dog.html

Prior to getting married, my wife owned a Husky, it was absolutely psychotic and she got rid of it soon after it tried to eat her brothers face off.

We are currently on to our second Boxer and I will never own any other type of breed. My first one and my current one are the most loyal, loving and family oriented dogs I have ever seen. They absolutely love children and are described in many publications as the beginner dog owners breed for their trainability.

Our current one (Otis), is just over a year old and 90 lbs, I'm just getting him broken in as a fishin partner. My old one (deceased) went everywhere with me, including my many ventures onto Lake St. Clair, even on the roughest days he'd stand sentry on my front deck, I was often amazed at his ability to keep his balance in all but the roughest weather.

Awesome dogs, I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a family pet.

Whatver breed you choose, the key is training. There are 2 books that are a "must read" even for current dog owners. When we got our Weimeraner they were reccommended and were the best training books I have ever read....Both are written by the Monks of New Skete, they are "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend" and "The Art of Raising a Puppy". Although Weimaraners are often used for obiedence trials, many people have commented on how well behaved our dog is.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back