Charger Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Munaretto

Reaction score
I have a Guest 23 Amp charger in my Nitro, and when I was charging after fishing yesterday, I noticed a gurgly noise which seems to be coming from one of the batteries (not sure which) -- After 6-8 hours one battery was not fully charged (a trolling, 10amp connection) -- Is the gurgly noise normal? Or do I have a battery problem or a charger problem that I should be concerned about?

David

Mine does this when its charging. A battery under charge will produce hydrogen gas. As the pressure inside the battery builds, the gas will vent through the cap. That's why you're supposed to keep the hatch covers open; to prevent a below-deck buildup of hydrogen, which could explode. The sound is nothing to worry about, unless you see more than a little bit of water flowing out of the battery as well.

David, some noise is normal, but if it's loud, you may have one or more cells low on acid. You can use distilled water to top them off, and should as a regular maintenance. Be very careful when taking the caps off of a deep cycle battery. Keep water and baking soda near by. Also, when you store your batteries for the winter, take them inside. In the basement, or somewhere that they won't freeze. Check to see if it's low, if so, top it off, and charge it again. Let us know how you do.

It's just the water boiling from the charging process,......make sure you check the water level atleast once a month if you do not have maintenance free batteries,.....if you need to add water, use distilled water,........it's better for the batteries. the gurgling noise is normal!!

Thanks, I was able to determine that it wasn't the charger by switching hookups between trolling motor batteries. I checked the fluid level on the culprit, and needless to say, needed a toppin' off...

Charger plugged back in and they're chargin away, I'll post if that battery doesn't hold a charge, but my fingers are crossed...

david

Back