CAN ANYONE HELP

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Gersh

Reaction score
So after 2 yrs I just replaced my Interstate batteries with AC Delco Voyagers (non-maintenance) batteries. 1 cranking battery and 2 trolling motor batteries. So I installed them, plugged the boat in for a charge and it took about 3 hours and the inboard charger has all green lights.........charged !

So now here is what im wondering...My boat has a NITRO Special Edition 3 Bank Charging System .....built in. On the outside of the boat is where you plug in your extension cord when the boat is put away.

Question #1 The paper than came with the batteries says........after a full charge you should unplug from charger so its not on all the time therfore shortening the life of the battery. The charger instructions say it has an automatic shut of when the battery is charged and you should leave it plugged in till you go fishing. (even though it might shut off..the single green light on each bank remains..while its plugged in)....WHICH ONE IS CORRECT????

Question #2 How do I know, if i wanted to test it, If there is something wrong with the bank system and is it really shutting off or... cooking these batteries, because the last batteries (ones you had to add water to) left small splash stains in the compartment from what i think was it bubbleing over........who knows..im lost.

On number 1 there are two schools of thought. I'm with the charging instructions. I trust the technology, but not completely. Some don't and unplug this, and will plug again and top off the night before, worried about failure and fire. I just leave mine plugged, and have for years. I do occasionally check the charge being trickled to the battery. This takes you to 2.

On #2, get out your manual to confirm, but I would be surprised if it varied too much from brand to brand. On mine, once it is charged and conditioned it drops down to 13.3 volts, and that is enough to keep charged but not overcharge and boil out the water. You do need to add water occasionally if yours are wet cells. You should add distilled water (not tap water) as it does not contain minerals that can hurt your batttery. It's inexpensive compared to the cost of a battery.

Latest posts

Back