Cabelas Senko Kit

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Ok, I got one for the rally so naturally I had to get one for myself. When I went fishing, I wasn't sure if you fish these with or without a weight. It was pretty windy out so I put a 1/16 on but it seemed to sink too fast. What's the "preferred" method?

Teri, You can fish a senko several ways. I prefer to rig it weightless just like you would a worm. It will undulate horizontally in the water if you rig it straight with the right size hook. Another deadly technique is to rig it "wacky" style. One of my favorite ways to fish it is on a carolina rig wit a 2 1/2 foot of leader. The fish will inhale this bait so you need to watch your line or feel for a little weight on the end of the line. Once they bite it they don't normally let go. Try Watermelon seed in the clearer water and pumpkin or something darker in stained water.

Teri,

I think that they are used usually without any weight. Tox and KB are the masters of the Senko and no weight. I use slider heads in the river current and when weight is needed, or the wind is bad.

Carlos

Far from a master with a Senko!! I just happen to throw them when they are eatin' em....KB

Teri, Al said it all. Throw it out let it sit, or as Tox would say "eat a sammich" then check it!!!

I fish them weightless on a 3/0 wide gap hook rigged through the tip just as you would a worm. Cast it out. Let it sink a bit. Then bring it back moderately slowly - jerk bait fashion. (small jerks)

I use a Mustad Finacky weedless weighted hook (1/32 oz) - and rig it wacky style. The little extra weight increases the action as it sinks, make it one heck of a hook choice. Having a bit of extra weight at the center of the bait makes the ends wiggle with longer strokes on the fall. If you can find them, they are my absolute #1 choice for fishing senkos (and the senko is my go-to bait)

David

I fish Senkos like me!, except I catch fish!!! LOL!

Bob G!

I am going out to buy some Senkos now that I know how to use them. I heard they were good. Good post Teri, thanks

I do catch fish with Senkos, Bob..... I throw it out there and tell it to find a fish about half it's size and haul that sucker back in by the tail fins!

I fish Senkos on 3/0 wide gap mustad , 10 lb big game, and no weight. Its the "Ultimate Do Nothing" bait

Marvin, if you search on "Senkos" there was a discussion awhile back about these. Bob posted some pictures on how you should rig them....but no comment about weight.

Teri-

Email me and I will give you all the lowdown details you need to beat these guys at the rally.

T.S.

Teri

I generally fish a senko without any weight. They are heavy enough to fall on thier own and if they sink too fast it takes away from thiier effectivness in my opinion. I rig mine on a 3/0 hook wacky style most of the time and they sink at a decent rate. If the wind is blowing wont throw a 4" i go to a 5" for the extra weight of the bait.

Also if you want to make one last longer then one fish when wacky rigging i have a tip for you. go to home depot and get a package of 3/8" shrinkwrap tubing from the electrical dpt. Take that shrink wrap and cut a small peice off like 1/4" to 3/8" and slide that over the bait to where you plan to poke the hook thru. then rig it poking the hok thru the shrinkwrap and the bait. The shrinkwrap give it some extre toughness and dosent affect the action at all if you use a small enough peice. the 3/8" size fits perfect on a 5" senko, on a 4" use a lighter to shrink it down to size.

Well, so much for my canned seminar speech on Senko's. Everybody covered most of it. My variations are as follows.

A senko was not designed to be weighted. If you need extra weight or the wind is a problem then throw something else. A senko is a finess bait and a lot of finess baits cannot be thrown in the wind or strong current. I have used one c-rigging but found that a lizard works just as well in that application. I have also used them (the small ones) dropshotting and thay work ok.

If you are fishing open water you can nose hook them or middle hook them (wacky, or trick rigged), but if you fish any cover or grass consider yourself snagged. I prefer Texsposed.

Only 1 way to fish them...medium length casts; long casts put too much line on the water and by the time you react the fish is gut hooked "or" you won't get a good hookset; too short of cast and the lure will not fall in the manner it was designed. 99.9% of the time your fish will hit on the first fall. It is not a fluke and does not work it's magic if you are jerking it through the water (it will catch an occasional fish though). If you do not get bit on the first fall, reel your rodtip down to about the 5 o'clock position and pick the senko off of the bottom (raise your rod to the 1 o'clock position) and let it fall again keeping your eyes glued to the spot in the water where your line meets the water and is sinking. If it sinks too fast, set the hook, if it sinks too slow, set the hook, if it moves right or left, set the hook. You can reel up and "feel" the fish because they will hold a senko a little longer but you risk a gut hook. Fish will also be more inclined to "come back" and take a second whack at it if they miss the first time.

You would be suprized at just how fast they sink. When I do the demonstrations on the tank at BPS, you can really tell. I do not consider them a deep water bait (nothing much over 8 feet), you can tape them, weight them, put a nail in them, yada, yada, but my best success has been using them naturally as they were designed.

I use a 3.0 EWG (extra wide gap) thin wire Gamakatsu hook on no more than 8lb (MONO...you want stretch) test. Spinning setup all the way. 6'6" or longer rod in medium to medium light action.

I rig A LOT of senko's for clients....weightless, weedless, catches fish, not the guide.

TOXIC

Thanks Tox! And I like the idea of a spinning setup. I tried them on a baitcaster but I am much more comfortable with a spinner.

Sim's right, Just remember to SLOW DOWN and when you think you have slowed down enough SLOW DOWN some more!! Do you know how to do a "texposed" rig? Kinda like a Texas rigged worm?

TOXIC

me!,

I'll show what I use for throwing Senkos in the thick stuff at the rally!

Bob G.

You mean there is somebody that doesnt know how to through a senko. I am supprised. Dont start throughing one. They are a horrible habit. Before you know it, that will be the only bait you have on. I have caught fish as deep as forty feet drown dropping with this bait. You can texas rig it with what ever weight bullet in front. Florida rig works, wacky rig & weighted wacky rig. You can through it weightless texas, and so on. My favorite is sling shot with a small piece of a used tube in the middle wacky style. It kills them on the docks.

Yes, Thats me, I admit it, I am as green as grass when it comes to bass fishing. Although I can catch a few, there is alot I need to learn. I am not to old to learn either and will listen to good advise. I am very thankful I found this website, to Rich Stern, and to all of the NTOWS members. Soon I will be throwing a senko and enjoying its benefits. It is better late than never.

Thanks everybody

Marvin

Back