Cabelas ROCKS!! MG...not so good

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Yeaton

Reaction score
Back in May you guys may recall I bought the new Freshwater bow mount Digital MG trolling motor. 71lb's, variable speed, suppose to be quiet...ya

This past weekend at a tournament I had problems with it. The shaft is loose inside the head and half shaft. Every time I let my foot off the power switch, the shaft would rattle 3 or 4 times. Made it a bit hard to fish...

Anyway, I called MG this morning and explained my story. I was left with 2 options, have it serviced or call the retailer and get a refund. Well I was out of Cabelas 60 day warranty, so I'm stuck with a $680 piece of crap that needs sevice. My service guy is probably out a couple weeks and I need it for a tournament the 28th, latest date would have been the 25th to have fixed and installed to leave for the weekend.

I took the chance and called Cabelas. Jennifer at C.S. was great! Even though I was 1 month and 2 days out of their warranty, she went back and forth with her manager to let me return it for a refund! She has heard of problems with the MG's as well. While I was on the phone I ordered the Maxxum 65 variable speed for the same price as the MG back in May. They are even paying for shipping for both items. You can't get much better than this for customer service!!!

For those who think MG has improved....I gave them another shot and the end result is going back to a MK. Unless MG and Merc completely change their design, I'll never own another.

Cabela's entire staff from CS to the Corporate people I have dealt with are without question 1st Class. Although Jennifer is my EX Wifes name so aside from that i really liked hearing your post ..Don

hmmm glad I got the Minn Kota 65...instead.

Funny my wife's name is Jennifer too...but she is a keeper, a real toad, a hog in every way...aaa that felt good to get off my chest

no really...she's cool, the best fishing partner I ever had...a perfect example Me: Can you get me a drink? Her: can you swim to shore?

All that is wrong with the motor is the bushing that holds the shaft bearing is loose. Loosen the 2 allen set screws, push up the bushing and re-tighten them. I did it last summer and I need to do it again.

Gene

Geo, I have got to say you are Da MAN! Calling your wife a toad and hog in print is a dangerous chance to take. Much more swimming in your future.

gene- I did that. Though it did improve, it did not completely fix the problem. For the $679 I spent, this thing should have been whisper quiet for atleast a year.LOL!

For the same $679, the MK Maxxum 65 will (hopefully) be 10x the motor. I can't understand how MG says they've improved their product.

I did not mention 2 other issues -

It did not work on the slower speeds

The motor was getting noisy, not as quiet as when I first got it.

Back