Boat Leaks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith2

Reaction score
This is my first post on this board but I have read some great advice posts from you guys. I bought a 1994 TX Tournament 17ft about a month ago. When I bought the boat I new it leaked a little from some rivets that were loose. I have fixed those leaks, but I have found another area that leaks. I took some of the great advice from you guys on this board ( I searched emails that were 1 year old about leaks) and I filled the bilge area with water. My leaks are coming from the center mold that has rivets on both sides. I can see where there are gaps between the bottom of the boat and the molding (I am not sure what it is called). If I take a hammer and tap the mold and use some JB Weld, will this fix my leaks. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears (or is it eyes). I fished out of it one time and as long as I turn my bilge on every 30 minutes or so, everything is ok. There are probably 5 or 6 rivets that leak down the center and only 2 or 3 places that the mold has small gaps.

Don't use JB weld. The flexing will crack it loose.(been there,done that):(

Buy some Permatex silicone gasket stuff at the auto parts store and use that. Clean the area real good to get a good bond and it will last a life time.

You can even get it in grey to match the boat.

It's the only thing that keeps my boat from meeting the bottom of the lake.:rolleyes:

Steve

i would also add a float switch to the bilge pump, that way it will come on automaticly and turn it self off when the water is gone.

mike

Scott,

I have an 84 aluminum Tracker, (Just bought a new 05 PT185 jet), that had some leaks. I used Gluvit marine epoxy on some of the rivets. It hardens but maintains flexibility. You could even sand and paint it once it dries. I put it on last spring and it is holding fine. You have to clean the area really good and even sand or wire brush the aluminum clean first.

Back