battery life.....?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
My 2004 PT 175 is still working on the original batteries (interstate). I think I noticed my trolling motor starting to lose its punch some last weekend. The starting battery seems as strong as ever but my 50 Merc. bump starts very quick. Guess what I am asking here, do you think I am walking on thin ice after more than 4 years of service? Guess I should replace em at this point....any comments appreciated. kenny

Kenny - I just replaced two of my four batteries after 6 years. I still have one troller and the starting battery is still starting fine. Figure if one or the other goes while at the water I can stop trolling (36V system) or jump start the boat from one of the trollers (always carry jumper cables in the boat). My pleasure boat battery went in two seasons and have to replace that this spring. Go figure!

When I traded in my 2001 PT-185 last year, I was on my third trolling battery and the original Interstate starting battery. I would put my little Guest handheld charger on it from time to time but it was always fully charged and never gave me a reason to replace it. If you take it to a parts store or someplace that sells batteries, they can put it on a load tester and tell you if it's getting weak.

I went round and round last spring when I bought my boat. Charger was doing funny things so I pulled the battery and took it to Auto Zone and had it checked. Said it was A OK. So I returned my on board charger as it was still in warranty. Brought it home, same thing. Picked up a new battery, fixed. Point of the story is they can test to an extent, but I'm sure they cranking batteries is what these testers are designed for not the deep cycle batteries. The battery I replaced was an Interstate deep cycle, but I feel it was improperly maintained by the previous owner causing premature failure. Cranking battery is still fine (2005 model). Your battery is 3 yrs old, it's time to bite the bullet. I'd say 3-4 yrs is my experience on the life of these.

Bill, if you're reading this, it is recommended to change out multiple trolling motor batteries together.

Berry - I plan to pick up a new trolling battery in the next couple of weeks. I only recently changed out the other two. Thanks for the advice.

I just happened to read the on board charger manual from cover to cover since I was having issues.

I have a Delco-Voyager that I'm going to replace this year after 19 yrs. I know it's hard to believe but it's true. I think I'll buy another Delco.

Latest posts

Back