adding cup to a prop gives you more ??what??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
I'm wondering what adding more cup to a prop will get you.

Thrust ,speed, control, higher rpm's.....

Less slip is the answer.

Expect:

Approx 100-200RPMs loss. Better holding power in a turn. And possibly more bow lift. Hole shot can go either way with added cup, but usually hole shot is better or the same. Might need to pull a pvs plug after adding cup to your prop.

Why add cup? If your boat is not getting any bow lift at WOT with the correct engine settings. Or your are running a higher engine settings.

With the Nitro 9 series i always recommend a Trophy for this reason. It offers good cupping on a stock prop.

I agree with bmcd. Also it usually helps out in rough water because you get more bite on the water, hence the extra bow lift. Any questions call mark at mark's prop shop. By the way did you get up there and get your prop fixed?

Hi Arnold,

As it turned out there was more damage than what I first realized.It seems I also bent the shaft and had to have the lower unit rebuilt. It has not been a pleasant experiance but a learning one. I did call though before I realized the extent of the damage. Insueance covered it after my deductable.

Mark

Back