New prop or hydrofoil

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy9236

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 97 800 LXS with a mariner mag III. The current prop I’m running is a quick silver 16996-A40-26P. It gets on plane but I feel as it could get there quicker. My options are swapping out the prop with a solas 9553-141-19, or adding a hydrofoil/cavitation plate.

First time swapping out a prop or adding a cavitation plate. I’ve had a plate on an old bayliner I had but it came with it so I’m unsure of the difference it makes.

Just wanted to see what you guys think

Attachments

• IMG_5769.jpeg
    IMG_5769.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5771.png
    IMG_5771.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5773.png
    IMG_5773.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hey guys. I have a 97 800 LXS with a mariner mag III. The current prop I’m running is a quick silver 16996-A40-26P. It gets on plane but I feel as it could get there quicker. My options are swapping out the prop with a solas 9553-141-19, or adding a hydrofoil/cavitation plate.

First time swapping out a prop or adding a cavitation plate. I’ve had a plate on an old bayliner I had but it came with it so I’m unsure of the difference it makes.

I think the cheapest way would be the hydrofoil and they do work to some degree, however the Solas prop is junk compare to the Mercury. If you where to change props I would go with a 4 blade for the hole shot.

Had used the Sting Ray hydrofoil years ago on a Mercury 75HP 4 stroke mounted to Crestliner 1650 and it did help keep the bow down. One suggestion get the no drill hydrofoil if it doesn’t work you won’t have holes in your lower unit. It did drop my top end speed down 4mph.

If you already have the the 19" prop, go ahead and try it. But, a 7" drop in pitch is pretty radical as byron said. Most likely you will blow it out unless you really feather the throttle. I am assuming the motor is a 150 on that 18' boat. Another option is take the prop to a prop shop and tell them what you want to achieve. A good prop man can tweak your existing prop or possibly have a lesser pitch prop to loan you to find the best combination. Then you can trade in your existing prop for the one that works.

I think the cheapest way would be the hydrofoil and they do work to some degree, however the Solas prop is junk compare to the Mercury. If you where to change props I would go with a 4 blade for the
Had used the Sting Ray hydrofoil years ago on a Mercury 75HP 4 stroke mounted to Crestliner 1650 and it did help keep the bow down. One suggestion get the no drill hydrofoil if it doesn’t work you won’t have holes in your lower unit. It did drop my top end speed down 4mph.

A hydrofoil will cut your planing time in almost half. I put a SE sport 300 on all the boats I have owned. But, that being said you need to have the right prop to begin with. The right prop is the most important thing. So, get the right prop and also put a Hydrofoil on. A hydrofoil is pretty cheap. I think the SE sport 300 is around 70 to 80 bucks.

If you have a 125hp 2+2 motor they come over-propped with a 26" prop, because those motors have a very low RPM redline. My guess is a 19" prop will cause it to redline and blow! I have a Nitro 185F/S with a 125hp 2+2 mercury on it. Boat suffers from poor holeshot, because of the 26" prop. I believe redline on those motors is 5200 RPM

Latest posts

Back