99 Targa Tracker Question's ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darell Murray

Reaction score
Can Anybody else tell me why these 17ft. targa hit's the wakes so bone jarring hard ? Is it mine or is it every one of them ? I have 115hp mercury and if ruff on the water then I have to slow way down for each wake , is this normal ? Any way to correct this in the boat ? Are all the Aluminum Boat's this way on ruff water ?

I also have another problem, when starting out of the hole and motor against the transom the water just roll's over the back of the transom , when I trim the motor out the water shed's out and I then get a 6ft. sloppy rooster tail ?

Also at this time with the motor trimed out and boat planed out about 42MPH I can hardly turn the boat , it feel's that something is out of wack, and then I have to trim the motor back down and turn ?

I enjoy the boat a lot just trying to find answer's and whether all aluminum boat are like mine ? It does catch Wiper's and White Bass and Large Mouth Bass very well )) Does anyone know where I can get the schematic's for the boat as to location of what is under the floor ?

Thank's, DM

Something is definitely wrong...Pat may be able to help with your set-up. Sounds like the motor is low or something...not sure:unsure:

Pat, I disagree on the side wave hittin experience, my Champion does fine in 3 footers from any angle, define side wave impact............Don't have much experience in a Targa, but they are alum boats, so that does not suprise me to hear of the rough water experience in an alum boat, not that theres anything wrong with alum, just depends on what you want to do with that boat.

It doesn't matter the direction of the wave or size , it smack's down hard ! Do you other Aluminum Boat's have same thing happen ? Thank's for help )) I hope it is with the set up of the boat for sure )) I had an old Terry Glass Bass Boat and it never felt like this unless it was a huge wave , but this is embarrassing when you have a fellow fisherman with you and you do the smack down )) I got this for looking at the last boat for retirement and therefor the aluminum as glasss break's down later on ))

Pat ..the top mount hole on the transom ...from the middle of the bolt thru the motor is 1 3/4 to the top of the transom ... from the top of the bolt to top of the transom it is 1 1/2

From the plate you bolt on the whale tale's onto ...which is not on I measured from the bottom of this plate to the bottom of the boat and is 1 1/4 ....so it is below the bottom of the boat !

On the transom is the transducer for the depth finder and the factory mounted plastic screen for the water iontake to keep trash out of the live well ... nothing more !

I belive you want RPM from the boat running on the water ? I have no gps for speed rely on the speedo , but here is what the motor tag say's just to clear that up ...115 ELPTO .. 5250 Max RPM .... Prop is Stainless Steel 22 Pitch Laser II

Thank's

My dad has a tracker panfish 16 with a 40 Merc Jet, and I used that boat for 2 years on our thousand island trip, that thing would pelt you in rough water, but it didn't have the V like on your Targa, you are the first I heard that the Targa's aren't riding very well.........are you wide open in the rough stuff, or at mid range when this happens?

Mike , That is my question from other's with the same boat , do they have the same problem or is it my set up ? If I don't come off full or half throttle when a wave come's then it does not displace the wave at all it smack's down hard)) The hull is great , few scratch's ...I am dissappointed as I know the aluminum will serve me well .....but the ride on half or full plane is the problem .... I also will probably move the motor up maybe 2 bolt hole's as I have been told this is the problem with the water coming over the transom before the planing out ....it is on the 1st bolt hole therefore the bottom plate is below the boat and hopefully is the water problem )) ....now to safley raise the motor up .... got a Aframe and hoist orto use a jack under the skeg ? Thank's

Whatever the hull, your bow is splitting the crest/top of the "wave" and what you're "smacking down" on is the valley/trough left between sets. Dependant upon size of wake/wave, you should always reduce throttle on any crest 1/2 or more the depth of your freeboard or take a jolt and possibly spear the next.

Your motor may also be low, but you need to be measuring from the bottom of the transom up, not the top down. Your "whale-tail" or hydrofoil should be clear of the water surface after planing. If not, I'd suggest removing it until you can make some major engine height adjustments or you'll most likely be an accident waiting to happen.

Your motor turning could be just a stiff single rack helm unit. With a 4 cyl., that's probably what you have. (A shiny metal arm going inside of a black cylinder where your cables are.)

Overall, and no matter what you get told, an aluminum boat will not handle the water like a comparable glass boat. Glass is heavier in construction which will hold the water/sit deeper than the aluminum will. I'm sure Patt G. or some others may have a few ideas for you as well. Good luck!

Thank's Dan & Tee , whale tail has been removed and still same problem )) How can a fellow lift the engine , is there a area to strap or chain too? I understand the need to trottle down , depending on the size of the wake)) I understand the glass and the reason behind it all .... I just want the same performance and the lasting aluminum ))) Thank's

Ditto Pat on the above, especially the Trophy. A four blade will treat you much better on that hull. (Much more lift and control.) It's what I have rigged and run on mine.

Oh yeah, to lift/raise your engine you'll need a Mercury lift ring that threads into the flywheel on top (preferred and best way) or bolts and chain into the block, NOT BY USING THE SPARK PLUG SOCKETS IN THE HEAD. (Chain is a much less desirable way, but I've had to do it in a pinch. Not recomended!) Good luck!

Thank's , Pat N Dan for info )) Now how or does anyonme have a 21 four blade prop for sale or trade ? I do stone carving's of Name N Address , Headstone's , Elk , Quail or whatever the need ))) I know the shipping on the stone be the pitt's )))) What kind of money will the four blade be ? And Thank's again ))))))

You should be able to find a 21 four blade (trophy or powertech, don't fool with anything else) in good shape for a couple hundred bones. There are prop swap pages at bass fishing home page, bass boat central, Ebay, all over.

Don't get suckered on some off brand P.O.S. there's a zillion junk props that some yoyo will tell you is just as good, or better or whatever to get some junk off his shelf.

Does Quicksilver make a four blade? Don't know but, I love mine and has a brushed finish.

I have also heard that the Lazer II's are junk...that's why I went Merc:D

I own a Targa `17 Dc w/115 Opti, rigged after deliveery with a Trophy Plus 21 (at Pat's advice), with 2 vent plugs removed. If I'm not trimmed down enough, I can get a terrible bounce/pounding. Put the V back in the water & let the hull work as intended. It also can be a bear to steer in high speed turns unless I trim up a hair, then trim back to plane trim after completing the turn. I play with the trim so much during a ride, I'm probably adding a wheel mounted trim switch this season. I have never, ever gotten water in the boat (or sprayed on me) while under way after I learned the character of the boat. I have had many people comment to me just how smooth the boat rides (especially for aluminum), and when the water gets choppy I can go places guys with glass won't go (although that may be their driving style versus mine?). I got caught out in a freak storm that blew in out of no where last year & when I got back to the dock was completely dry & had all my teeth intact. When the guys in the other boats (2 Lunds, 1 Ranger) got back about 30 minutes later (after cowering in the coves until the storm blew over) they all commented on how it looked like I was running on glass, not chops when they watched me run right through the storm.

I had original quotes for the TP in the $700 range (brand new), until I found a dealer online willing to ship it to me for $400 including shipping. It was amazing how fast my local dealer was willing to match the price (without even confirming my lower price!). At the time I was buying, I couldn't find a used one so if you have to go new, shop around!

If you go with a PowerTech (great prop I've been told), they offer a satin finish on the their SS props. Not as pretty at the launch, but grabs more water then a polished SS prop. (Look at race boats, all satin props.)

I can't help with mounting height right now as my Targa is at the dealer for warranty carpet replcement. I'm told I should have it back the 1st or 2nd week of January.

I love my Targa would buy one again in a heartbeat (unless the wife allowed the extra expenditure up to a Tundra)!!

Mark

so Pat WAS a "pro staffer" for many years ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!!LOL! egotistical indeed.........

Mike,

Pat has FORGOTTEN more about setting up and driving boats than most of us will ever know.......;)

just playin around...............:lol: I know Pat could could drive the socks off of me, heck I'm only 28, and only had one bassboat, my Champ...........but I never had problems driving in rough water on Lake Ontario in my Champ, and I know you can slam waves hard if not hittin them right, I've done that too.............just mt .02

Thank's Mark )) Look's like it is Indian after all ))) At least I can change Indian and the arrow cost to much to change ))) What year is your targa ? I see the newer one's the "sibstrate run's all the way up the curve of the hull m, where mine stop's before the curve ... hope I can keep dry as you say cause mine has gotten us wet ... so again hopefully will be the Indian changing his driving habit's ))) I appreciate your story , that is why I chose the deep V and aluminum ))) I enjoy the water no matter what the weather , and wanted this boat for all fishing condition's ))) Will try out the ideas you have shared with me today and see if I can find some wave's to see what Indian can learn ))) I am on the hunt for the Trophy 4 blade prop )) If you get a chance to let me know what bolt hole you are mounted on would apppreciate it ... Will a floor jack help to lift the engine , will the skeg be strong enough ? I also enjoy my targa and hopefully will learn more about it now ))) Thank's, DM

ROTFLMAO at Carlos! I don't know who to worry more about, Ken's "deep throat" or Carlos' loveydovey smiley face!! LOL

Darell,

Mine is a '04 hull w/'05 Opti.. "I" wouldn't risk jacking up on the skeg after hearing horror stories about skeg repair costs. When I get my boat back, I'll let you know what specific hole mine is set in, but that may not help with 5 years between our hulls.

And for what it's worth, a V hull can still go in shallows if you are careful... I've had mine in 16" of water in a stumpy bay without bottoming out, of course ya gotta make sure weight distribution stays even front to back when trying that & keep the livewell levels to a minimum...LOL

More info..when I switched from the default 19 pitch prop to the TP 21, I only lost 1.4 mph GPS, bringing me down to 42.8 mph GPS as my max... a small amount to give back for the huge increase in performance & hole shot.

Mark

Thank's Mark)) Must be a difference in the hull's cause I went out and had 2 ft. waves that we managed to splash in the boat , that substarte the newer one's is priobably a lot of help in that area , allowing the water to shed off when it hit's that metal structure )) I call it a substrate I guess that is what it is ? But did as you said and kept the tilt tite against the transom and that helped in tbhe turn's .... I wonder if the Trophy Prop will do any difference in the ruff water shedding effect ... I come rite up on plane and belive about 5000 rpm had 48mph speedo)) on the ruff water )) Yep just came across an old road bed in the lake it is very shallow , gotta pull tilt all the way up and the trolling motor , I would say 16' also and if we don't get rain soon it will be even more of a challenge ........course the fish seem to have moved out of the spot )) or I gotta figure the rite lure for 37 degree water ))) I have gotten 2 adult kneeboarder's up with 3 other's in the boat with the lazer ii prop and could have gotten more up with them , so I am really curious to what the 21 Trophy will do in the area also ))) I gotta get the tilt n trim switch back in the throttle or on the steering as you want for your's , they put it on the floor an that ain't no good for me, so gotta order me one ! What kind of money is the steering switch , gotta have some play in the wiring for sure doesn't it ?

Thank's , Darell

Hey I installed the blinker style on my Nitro in about 30 min total, thats with measuring, measuring and measuring again before drilling!!! LOL Just needed to borrow a wheel puller and it was easy! Got mine for under $30 on ebay brand new.

Back