99 or 00 Jeep GC versus Dodge Durango

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Let's hear it boys!!! Which one would you buy? Can you tell I don't want to do my work today.

i would buy the Durango. For one simple reason. The Durango has a full frame and the Jeep is a uni-body vehicle. A full frame is much better suited for towing then a unibody is. Over time it will prove more durable if you tow. The durango is also longer so it will give more stable towing.

I agree but, see if ya' get one with greaseable ball joints:)

Unmechanical female needs those comments translated. Does that mean you will have issues?

No doubt Tee, i wish they came stock with greaseable joints. Its the one of the only gripes i have with my Dakota. I manage to grease them with my needle greaser and it works great but they should have them stock imho. At least for the 98 to 01 models moog makes a greaseable replacement. They dont make one for my 02 yet.

What it means Teri is they designed the front suspension to be competly maint free. What happens over time is the joints need grease and cant get any because there is no fitting. It leads to something needing to be replaced before it really should have to be. Ford does the same thing and they have similar problems with reduced life. If they put a grease fitting on there it would solve most of the problems as long as someone actually greses them.

Depends on the engine, if it is either of the available V-8 options, then yes to the Dakota/Durango choice... If not, don't get the V-6.. It's a nice economical enginer for driving but it's not for long distance towing of the Banana Boat...

By the way, be sure that any vehicle has the new type of Halogen Fluid... And, the greaseable antenna bearings.. LOL

Teri,

I have owned a 1998 and currently own a 2001 Durango. I really like them, they drive very smooth. I have never pulled the boat with it, but will find out next weekend when I go get my new one.

Jon

The V8 comes in 4.7, 5.2, and 5.9. The Durango I am going to look at has a 4.7. I think that would be sufficient for my boat. The is what my Jeep has with less HP and torque. Any comments on the size? I know the 4.7 would be better for gas mileage.

Teri, the 4.7 will be fine. Thats what i have in my Dakota it moves my 882 easily and i tow mainly in the mountains in NH. The 4.7 is stronger then the 5.2 and the difference between the 4.7 and the 5.9 are slim but the 4.7 gets better mileage.

Jim, you always give me great, sound advice. I really enjoy hearing your opinions and thought I would tell you that. They are appreciated.....and so are most of the other opinions given on this board!!!

Our 2001 has the 4.7 and it seems to have all the power you will need.

Teri, are you interested in a 2001 Durango? Loaded with everything including leather?

Jon

Jon, I just drove a Durango and liked it. I think yours sounds nice enough to be out of my price range. You can email me what you would sell it for but I am guessing it would be too much for just a tow vehicle.

I have the 4.7 in my dakota quad as well, and it tows the 901 like a dream... passing people up hill, I often forget the boat is even back there....

My buddy has the R/T Dakota and it's nice and has plenty of power but, likes(well...maybe loves) gas! Plus those 275 17's that he's gettin' ready to replace ain't cheap..by NO means. I can't really see the use for that much HP in a mid-size truck...except maybe to impress someone...not me:)

Tee the funny part about the 5.9 R/T is it only has 5hp more over the 4.7l and only 10#ft more torque. A 2wd 4.7l dakota with a 5 speed manual will whip it up on a R/T and cost less too while getting 3-4mpg more. Dodge stopped making the 5.9 as of this model year. Keep in mind those Dakotas are heavy for their size too. My quad cab 4wd weighs in almost the same as a 1500 chevy 4wd with an extended cab. Why dodge even offers a v6 in the Dakota puzzles me because its useless and gets the same milage as the 4.7l v8

Oh No! He said "Jacknut"..... Maestro... A drum roll!!!

Where is Mark when we need him with the illustrations... Someone know if a searh will get Mr. Hoffman's excellent drawings and illustrations?

Where is Mr. Hoffman?

He hasn't been around much lately...

Maaaaaarrrrrkkkkk

Where are you Maaarrrrkkkk

az

Back