2002 700LX - New Prop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott H.

Reaction score
I need a new prop bad.. My prop was already real chewed up, lots of dings and what not, but my last trip really put some dents in it. First time on this particular lake, no docks in yet, picking up a buddy on shore and did exactly what I thought I'd do if went in there to pick him up. AHHH!!

Anyway.. I got the 700LX with the 75hp Tracker engine. I really don't know to much about the pitch/angle/force/thrust or anything of that nature. I've been reading info online for quite some time, but I don't wanna go through all the tests and what not to get a new one. I've got trip coming up in two weeks I gotta have it ready for.

So, I'm thinking just getting the stock prop again, it's the three blade. Unless, someone here who's got the same engine has used a different prop and is happier with their different model.

Can anoyone who's got this engine (or very similar) give me some advice on props? Stick to the three blade? Go to the four? Brand? Pitch? Model number? I'm actually still trying to determine the brand and pitch of the three blade that's on there now! :wacko: Also, this is something I'm planning on doing myself, so I'll probably get the prop wrench as well. I've replaced the props on smaller (40hp and smaller) and it was pretty simple.

Thanks for any advice!!

I am not a prop expert. I am not a prop expert.

That said, everything I've read written by folks who seem to know of what they speak or would like you to think they know of what they speak, leads me to believe that deviating from the stock propeller is a little more complex than just slapping on the prop. Things like raising and lowering the engine apply. As you are bound and determined to spend little time on this, I would recommend that you keep the current prop for the upcoming tourney [props don't catch fish] and spend time to get the right upgrade later.

There should be numbers on your current prop housing. If it is a 48-number it is a Mercury prop. I did a Google Product search by the part number and found an aluminum one from Starboard Supply for my 90 for under $80. It is not an off brand, my numbers were Quicksilver (different numbering system but same prop by Merc).

I can save you a bit of headache. I have the same year and model of boat and the same exact engine!! I went with a Turningpoint aluminum 23 pitch for speed, 21 pitch for better holeshot. My engine is mounted a bit low at 2 holes down from the top, but I am pushing just over 12 psi waterpressure. I plan to raise it one more hole and get a jackplate to set it back some. I currently run full fishin load with 3 people at 42 mph with the 23 pitch at 5200 rpm. The 21 launches GREAT but top end is only about 37 AND I have to watch the rpms when its just me.. but with the wife and kids its perfect. Dan's discount propellers had the best price I found on it. prop and hub kit were under a hundred bucks!

I have a 97 700 LX that I just bought a prop for. I also went with turningpoint and got a 23''x13.25 I am very happy with it run 46 @ 5200 RPM. This being said I have the 90 on mine so I would thing that the 21'' would be a good choice. I however am also not a prop expert.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

ddennis, did you change yours yourself? Was it very difficult? Did you have to get the hub kit? Did it come with the prop wrench? Do you remember exactly which one you got (the measurements)?

The turningpoints require a 30$ hub kit and they do not come with a prop wrench.

Yep, snooter is right, prop wrench not included, and you do need the hub kit. Super easy to do yourself. bend up the 3 little tabs, take off the bolt. Make sure the thrust washer stays on (large round brass washer). slide the hub into the prop, GREASE THE SHAFT!!, slide the prop on the shaft, put the prop lock washer on, bolt it down, bend the lock tabs down, FISH FISH FISH!!! LOL....

Any special kind of grease? Can I use the same stuff I use for the hub's on the trailer?

Do you remember exactly which model# you got dennis? I know it's the 23", but did you get the 13 1/4" diameter?

Suppose I can probably get a wrench from that same site to eh? that dan's discount.

Actually, does the new prop come with directions?? :unsure: That'd probably sum it all up..

I use the waterproof grease that I use in my wheel bearings. I did get the 13 1/4 diameter, will find the exact model number tonight.. You can get a prop wrench from him or do what I did...I used a crescent wrench!

found it...

13-1/4 x 23 Hustler High Performance Propeller Housing - Aluminum(H1-1323)

Awesome Dennis! Thanks for the info!!!! LOVE THIS SITE! (the wife doesn't though cause now I'm finding answers to all the things I've been wanting to do for a long time! ha!)

Glad to assist! What color is your lx? Mine is black stripes on the white hull with grey seats and carpet, Also have the dual consoles. Its a small rig compared to the other guys here but gets the job done nicely!

Yep, mines dual console as well. It's primarily white with the red metallic/sparkle stuff along the side. Red seats and red carpet.

yeah, there's definitly a big difference in our boats compared to the 19ft'ers and up. I comfortably fish two guys but if there's a third it gets a little crowded, not to mention the extra time it takes to get on plane. Oh well, it fits nicely in the garage and is easily towed by the Colorado.

Back