150-200hp Is it worth the $3500??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Chance

Reaction score
gonna get a new z7.....love the price tag with a 150, but would like to get the new 200 pro xs.....do you think it is worth the extra $3500 to max out the hp?

If you want to save money get a kayak. It is always a good idea to max out the HP both for performance and resale. I have heard a lot of complaints about not enough power but I have never heard anyone complain about too much.

TOXIC

Hammer used 4 words, but I agree.

Its not the speed gain for the extra outlay, it is the comfort, useability and resaleability of the outlay.

If you were satisfied with the Idea of a 150 you wouldn't be asking this question. I think you already answered it.

fatrap:)

my 2 cents is: how long do you expect to own the boat? If its 2-3 years and you expect to resell or trade in, AND you have the extra CASH buy the 200hp. If you plan to keep the boat for 5-8 years, AND you don't care about the extra speed, then get the 150. IF either way the $3500 is going to be FINANCED then you are really paying a LOT more over a 5+ year loan for that $3500, so i'd say stick with the 150 if it suits you. In this economy and uncertain job markets, i'd make sure I was buying CASH for the boat, or had enough in savings to pay it off quickly w/in 1 year, or wait. Just my 2 cents.

Either way, i'll be envious!!

Mine has the 200 Opti, which was way cheaper than the pro xs. I am still in the process of getting it set up but here are some numbers: 25p prop, 5.5" jp, 2 3/4" below pad (needs to move up), full gear, full tank of gas, one person, 3 sec hole shot and 65 mph gps @ 5200 rpm's. 5200???? The last time I was out I decided to open it up to see what she would do and the hot foot adjusting bolt stop was adjusted too high and I didn't have the wrenches in the boat to move it, I do now and next time out I will find out.

Trep, though that is good advice, if I waited until I could buy a boat with cash I would still be bumming rides.

Derek, my advice is get what you want. I am sure that 150 will push a Z7 as fast as it needs to go but sometimes that just doesn't seem to make us happy. I like to fish happy.

Guys it will be financed. Plan on financing at 10 years and paying extra to pay off early. I have great job security and am not going anywhere. I would plan to keep the boat for a long time, but if I needed to sell, I would think a Z7 with a 200 may be a bit more attractive than the numerous for sale with 150's thus making it easier to sell even if it cost a little more. It is not all about speed, but resale (if needed) gas consumption, not having to go WOT to get decent performance etc. Thanks for all the responses, just looking for yalls thoughts on this

200 you won't be happy with the 150,,My first Bass boat was a 150 regretted It from day one...Get the Max always.....JR:)

Trep, you kill me!!

Max the horsepower and never look back.

Bob and Jimmy - Just giving input, I know too many guys both on this board, other sites and locally, that bought into the 'it's just $150 a month, I can afford that boat for a 10 year loan" and then either job loss, move, divorce, not fishing as much... and 2 years later are WAY under water on the loan, and get killed selling it. Just a suggestion, its a pleasure craft not a car to get you to your job. I know not everyone agree's with me, and more then 60% of americans (even before the economy crashed last year) didn't pay off their credit cards each month and paid interest, but coming from a family who went through a nasty bankruptcy in the 70's when dad's business went under, its in my blood.

Dchance - Great on the job security and paying off early, thats a great plan! if you can afford it, I'm with the others if you CAN get the 200hp! Its true that I've never heard anyone (well 1 person) say they wish they had less HP on their boat.

At the end of the day it comes down to this, are you willing to pay $3500.00 to go 5 or 6 miles pr hour faster? Thats the bottom line. You should buy what you prefer, you are the only one paying the bill so to speak.

But if there is a question in your mind about being able to sell that boat down the road I can give you some good advice. Selling a boat has as much (if not more) to do with price point as it does with what the boat actually is, for example, Im sure you know that 92% of all Z-7'S sold last year had a 150 on the back, and every buyer had the same choice you had and chose the 150, some even took the boat that was on the showroom floor with a 150 even when they wanted a 200. Over 9 out of 10 buyers (regardless of what they wanted) purchased a boat with a 150.

I have sold my boat (Pro-Craft/Nitro) at the end of the year every year since 1998, and one thing I have learned, price point is EVERYTHING. If someone can buy my 20 footer with a 225 for $3500 less than my neighbors with a 250, they will....regardless of what engine size they prefer. To the vast majority of boat buyers, bottom dollar is what its all about, which has been Trackers philosophy all along, and has made them the number one boat manufacturer in the world.

I would get the 200 Pro XS without question. It will 100% be worth it.

When i bought my Z7 in 08 i was torn between the 175 Pro XS and the 200 optimax. I ended up going with the 175 XS because i really wanted the extra goodies that the XS comes with ( carbon fiber reeds, better fuel economy, better performance etc). If i had to do it again today it would be the 200 Pro XS for sure now that its available, it would be the only option in my book. When i got mine the XS model was ~400 more then the its non XS counterpart so it was a no brainer for me.

That being said im not in any way shape or form unhappy with my 175 pro XS. It really has been a fantastic motor and it really performs well.

The odds of most boat owners keeping their rig "to the grave" are extremely slim. You will re-sell or trade this in at some point. Max HP will help you immensely.

My truck has a 6.0L that will easily run triple digit speeds. I don't run it like that (In fact my wife says I drive like a Grandma! :lol: ), but when I need to get the Heck out of the way, it will. A four banger would probably propel it, but it wouldn't do a great job at it, and God forbid if I had to move it fast in an emergency response situation. Same thing with a hull. You don't need to run flat WOT all the time, but when you do need it, no matter how hard you're pushing down on the throttle, you have to have the ponies on the transom for the response. I can't tell you how many people I've met or talked to wanting to "upgrade" their HP. I've never met one looking to shave some off. The overall benefits of max HP sincerely outweigh the savings of $3500. IMHO ;)

I cannot tell you how many times I've answered a post having to do with one of the following:

1) How can I get more speed out of my boat? (underpowered)

2) How can I get a better hole shot out of my boat? (underpowered)

3) How can I get better gas mileage out of my boat? (underpowered)

4) What kind of deal can I get on a bigger motor? (underpowered)

5) Why is a new motor without the boat so much more than it would have been if I had just bought it with the boat to begin with? (package deals normally costs less than buying boat and motor seperate)

6) This boat sucks! I can't get on plane (underpowered)

7) My dealer is a (insert colorful phrase here) because he sold me a boat that blah, blah, blah... (underpowered)

See a pattern here?

I've never heard of someone who bought a larger engine complaining about it.

I will NEVER own a boat that doesn't have the max rated hp engine hanging off the transom. If it's rated for it, that is what will be mounted back there. It makes absolutely no sense to me to buy an underpowered rig. I have answered so many questions regarding underpowered rigs in the past 15+ years that it gets monotonous sometimes.

Answer the question honestly - If you get your rig, will you regret the smaller engine purchase in the future? I'm a speed and handling junkie. If I were driving a boat rated for a 225, and had a 200 on it, I'd be miffed if my buddies with the same boat and a 225 continuously left me in their wakes and got to the hot spots first.

I know many that purchase their rigs with underpowered engines. At first, they are extremely happy with the purchase. They go on and on about how nice it is to have the rig they bought. Then a few months (or a year or two) later, they start seeing people passing them all the time. Or they start noticing their hole shot takes much longer than others in comparable rigs. They start second guessing their purchase. Then comes the onset of buyers remorse. They start looking into re-powering their rigs, and they are pissed when they see what it's going to cost. They lose money on their current engine, and get raked over the coals on the replacement. Now that "deal" ain't looking so good.

Long way around it, I know. I'm just used to answering this question. :lol:

Put the max rated hp on your boat. You will be happy you did.

All the best,

Glenn

Trep, you are right about the financing thing. I was lucky, life was freaking good when I bought my 2000 Nitro and I paid cash for a >$20k boat out of the door. I have since gone through a divorce and less pay due to schedule changes. But guess what? I still have the boat and it still has the max HP Merc on it. Is it the perfect boat for me now that I don't have a "family" anymore? No way, but it works and it's paid for, so I make do.

Man, all these responses are great. Looks like most are leaning toward maxing out HP which is what I have always heard too. On another note, I am not going to make a decision based on what I "hope" doesn't happen. If we made decisions based on bad things that could happen, life would be miserable. I am sure nobody "plans" to lose their job or get divorced. I can afford to max out the HP, but everyone likes paying even less, but I think I will be happier with the 200.

My main reasoning is not from the speed junkie perspective. When I have clients in the boat and have to outrun a storm back to the dock, I run her hard. Scares the crap outta clients but they are usually in the car before the storm hits. The throttle only goes down as far as you want to push it so, even though you have it you don't need to use it but when you do NEED it you have it. My main concern is performance other than top end. Hole-shot, handling, overall performance is my concern and even though the difference between a 150-200 in top end speed is not much, the grunt it has is much better which when you get loaded up and 2 guys, full wells and full of gear, you won't have someone sitting on the front deck to get on plane. With a 150 you will have to get it dialed in pretty good whereas with a 200 all you have to get is close.

TOXIC

Yes I moved up but, can honestly say for the kind of fishing I do..my tin rig will hold up for years and years.

Can't really beat the gas mileage either if u don't have it pegged.

45 on the ticker ain't bad either;)

And yes I maxed it out:cool:

Been there dont that,I have has 3 rigs in order: one maxed, one half maxed, and the one I currently owned maxed. Even thought my second rig was an awesome boat(on land) I hated fishing off of it. Many of times I could have went but didn't because I didn't enjoy it as much. MAx it out for sure, HOUG HOUG HOUG (Tim Allen voice in Home Improvement)

CHRIS CAS

I am all for maxing out and getting the most out of a boat but we are talking about an 18.5' boat not a 20-21' rig. I think at resale on these boats people are going to be looking for price point more than what is on the back. Now I think it can help you sell your boat but will you get 3,500 more? I highly doubt it. I have a z-7 with 175 pro xs and can't see why you would need a larger outboard in this size boat. It gets on plane quickly, burns little fuel and gas, and runs mid 60's. Really what else more do you want out of a boat this size? Go z-8 or z-9 if you want a boat that will impress people with speed. That is my opinion anyway.

I am not sure if the special pricing includes a 175hp. nothing mentioned anyway

Go z-8 or z-9 if you want a boat that will impress people with speed.

Apples and oranges. The same motor on those hulls will do little to "impress" anybody. The bigger the hull with the same ponies, the bigger the dog all the way around. HP = Speed.

The $3500 being bantered about is the MSRP upgrade difference. That is not the actual price, could be higher or lower with financing, add-ons, (yada, yada) multiple variables until the skeg leaves the curb. What's important to keep in mind is 5 to 7 yrs. from now when a buyer is looking at 30-50 similarly priced models. The model with the max HP will command a higher price AND a higher loan value from the lending institution of the new buyer. I recomend getting whatever keeps you from wondering, "Should I have...or..if I would have...", that each person rationalizes when looking at the CG plate and seeing less on their transom.

I have no dog in this fight. I just prefer to look at things relatively instead of abstract. ;)

Derek,Glenn made some great points.I have an 03-898 w/200 EFI. That is the last year they used the 2.5L block for the 200.Mine is underpowered for sure.I run LOZ alot as I'm sure you do and you need all the power you can get at times."Go big or stay at home"

Latest posts

Back