Zero Turn Radius mowers - comments/experience

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Wife says I should get what I want now, not buy something used. Therefore, I'm seriously considering it.

Looking for any feedback on using/running a zero turn radius mower. Several to choose from obviously (Club Cadet, Husquarvana, Dixie Mower, Deer and others). Really looking for comments about ease of use; difficultly in learning to operate (especially since the wife will want to use it at least some).

Thanks everyone.

Tex

I currently have a Cub Cadet walk behind mower and I love it, I grew up using a Cub Cadet lawn tractor. It was a very nice mower...and unlike the Craftsman tractor you won't have to worry about the deck rusting out on you.

When I go by Lowes I always stop and look at the Cub Cadet Zero Turn Radius Mowers and they sure do look nice.

It will take you all of about 5 minutes to learn how to use any of the mowers you are looking at.

I recently purchased a Snapper Hi-Vac (zero turning radius) and absolutely love it! I have a little over 1.5 acre lot, but only have about a 1/4 of an acre to mow. My yard is very challenging (hilly with narrow strips of sod) to do and I've been doing it with a self-propelled mower for years. The main reason I bought the Snapper was for clearing/mulching/bagging leaves in the fall. (dozens of big hardwoods) Their noted longevity was the determining factor in choosing the Snapper. (and knowing they're made just down the road in McDonough, GA didn't hurt! LOL!) I've had several retail brand mowers and have had the body/frame always go first.

I had a Zero turn, hated it on a hillside. Used it on level ground and loved it. Sold it since my yard is hilly.

Mike,

I have a 4 or 5 year old Craftsman, 42" cut sitting on my back porch/deck right now. It has a big hole in the 'long life air cooled engine'. Sorry, but I don't think I'll be buying another Craftsman for awhile. Didn't like the deck quality, steering linkage/breakage/quality, nor the fact that I have a $1,400.00 piece of junk that can now be used as an anchor.

Yes, it was a Briggs and Stratton Engine, which is the root cause. Just haven't liked all the Sears parts that I've had to buy and replace.

But thanks for the input and comments.

Tex

What are the reasons that they do not work well on hilly terrain?

I have a mixed yard. Big area with flat, others that are sloped and some considered 'hilly'.

Tex

My Snapper, as many of the new mowers, has a seat pressure kill switch. When you "raise a cheek" in shifting weight to clear a steep incline/decline, it kills the engine if it's not in nuetral. The switch looks easily defeated, but I just shift my weight back to keep it running along. I figure they put it on there so I don't flip it. (Been there...) Other than that, so far it's been flawless. (11h.p. Honda)

*edit link to my mower
http://www.snapper.com/hivac_rear.html

I actually hit my monster-in-laws house with mine the 1st two times I got on it (Sloped yard and I actually slid into the house).:eek:

Tex, I have the Toro commercial front end walk behind with the riding dolly. I have had it for 8 years now with nothing but belts for repair. I mow 8 acres, 5 mine & 3 the in-laws that are very hilly. I would recommend it to anyone. I was mowing with a 5' gromming deck on the Kabota tractor but this will mow in half the time and is better on the yard. My neighbor has the zero turn Toro rider but uses my walker to do his hill, its just safer. A added bonus is no heat rash from sitting on that hot seat in the summer.

Robert

Tex since you werent happy with the craftsman is stay away from any other tractor that MTD makes too since you most likley will run into the same issues. MTD makes Bolens, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Huskee, Ranch King, Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines, Yard Man , White and im sure some others too.

My father bought a yard machines tractor about 6 years ago the motor is junk on it among other things. Its a briggs too, one of that " commercial" 16hp models and its been burning oil like crazy for 3 years. i think when it dies he is going to buy a snapper with a kholer motor. He has a snapper push mower that he has had for 25 years and it still works great.

Tex,

My Snapper Hi-Vac is 27 years old and still going strong.. For picking up grass, leaves etc., it just can't be beat. It just about vacuums the yard.

Bill

You guys must have different Sears stores by you. I have 5 year old Craftsman with a 18hp kohler. It's bullet proof!. Oil "We don't need no stinking oil". Mine has been abused and always runs great. It's even been on fire, "can you drive thru a huge pile a leaves with the tractor? yup, but go really fast" LOL

$1k, no rust, no repairs, 1.5 acres including rocks. Original Belts, battery and oil filter.

Chris,

I don't have the Kohler engine. For the most part, I've been perfectly fine with the Briggs Stratton engines that I've had (many). This one has had 'pecularities' with it for the past 3 or 4 years. And yes, it certainly used/burned oil.

Thanks all for the input. My 'hills' have me somewhat worried about the zero radius. Of course, I sit on the edge of my lawn tractor for 'some' of my mowing anyway - if not, I probably would have long ago flipped sideways down the hillsides.

Tex

Tex, I kinda had the same offer. I got a GrassHopper ZTR 325. Thats a 25hp Kohler gas with a 5 ft three blade deck. I have about 25hrs on it so far and am very happy. I mow about 4 acres. Some is St Augustine, a little Bahaya, lots of pine straw, some gravel, some red clay. Other than dust, its great. Book sez you can mow at 10.5mph but I know of noone that brave. Engine runs at full throttle all the time and uses more gas than I expected although Ihave not measured the gal/hr yet. Once you have a ZTR you will not wish to go back. Kinda like going from dialup modem to cable. BTW I live in central Louisiana in the piney hills. All in all, I'm very pleased. Putting this one in the back of your truck is out of the question. Just too big. Dealer sez he will come and get it if it breaks and I think he will. ..... sam

Thanks Sam. Appreciate the insight. I kinda thought the same about the ztr's that I looked at. Wide Bodies - probably made/designed by Pontiac!

I have a lot of areas that just simply BEG for a ZTR machine. I have to make many passes and un-neccissairy turns to get everything done. I still need to check to make sure it will fit in my storage location, and a couple of places in the yard.

Still haven't made my decision as yet. I'm like you, I can't imagine running full throttle over my 'pasture' with it. In a couple of places - maybe, but in most places - no way.

Tex

Hey Tex

You might want to also look at Gravely Mowers my cousin has one and he cuts about 7 acres with his he said he would never own another brand....he has what they call an out front mower....but I know they also make the traditional ZTR mowers as well

http://www.gravely.com/

Thanks Mike. I believe that you may be right on the motors. Not sure what the Kohler has, but I know that most of the ZTR jobs I have looked at have an oil filter and presurrized oil system. I had never thought about the hill(s) and valleys that I mow. I suspect that may have contributed greatly to the B&S failure.

Great points.

Tex

Tex,

I sold my Ford tracor with a 60' deck this year and got an E-Mark 48' ztr mower...what a difference it made...i am in N Louisiana and have all the trees and things that make it difficult to mow with a regular mower...i went from 4 hours with the 60" deck...to 2 hours with a 48" deck. needless to say i am convinced...just my opinion though.

RW

Hey tex check out this web site. lawnsite.com its a bunch of pros that do it for a living they will be glad to give u help on what brands are good.They are alot of tips on there that we all can use.I use a 6ft cut 33hp and 4x4 to cut with u looking for something like that.

On a hilly or sloped terrain you want a pressurized oiling system and an oil filter. The cheaper engines are a splash design oil system and will leave part of the motor dry while mowing or driving over the sloing area.

If attachemnts aren't needed, a ZTR may do you fine, but like others have said, you are limited to when you can mow due to the weather.

Toro make one of the best out there, give them a look over as well. I believe they are running Kohler engines. I know mine is commercial grade and good for 2000 hours :cool:

hey tex if you are looking for a long lasting low maintenance mowerthen take a look at the scags.ive been running them for 14 years and you wont believe the very low maintenance.what ever you decide on get a mower with the kawasaki motor. stay away from kohler especially .happy shopping.

I had all the brands when I had the Golf Course..They are worth the Cash, Speed Great cut, Comfort....I would say try them....Most dealers will deliver and let you try them.....I like the Toro...I used them all, but It was the cheapest and longest lasting for Us....You won't be sorry If you get one..Golf courses use them daily.....:)

.By the way Craftsman uses some parts that you can't buy,They have to come and service..A heads up for Info.......JR Dixie are the fastest and costly,,Great Mowers.....

Great information.

I'm now convinced that I have shot myself in the foot with my current mower, regarding the oil. I just simply NEVER even dreamed that the non-pressurized oil system would be a problem. If you saw my yard and what I mow, you would certainly be in agreement. I've burned up my own motor, and didn't even realize it.

We just got back from looking, after dinner. Took some measurements. Now ol' Lowes has complicated things. They have a 'repo' Club Cadet 50" ztr for $2249.00. New, it's $2,999.00. I really don't think I want one that someone else has run, but I may go back and find out what warranty is available (how much if any left) and whether or not they will sell me the extended warranty. On a new unit, it's $299.00 for 4 years on a big mower.

I'll check out the other sites. Someone coming to do the 'upper yard' this Saturday for me. That will hold off the neighbors for another week or so.

Tex

well, as a superintendant at a golf course i have a ton of experience with these units and they are all not created equal. if you get one make sure the deck is at least 8 gauge. i would stay with a riding mower if you lot is not to big, these things can throw some grass and fast. easy to use and learn. BUT VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX. check and see how much a the belts cost etc. they are twice as expensive or more than a top of the line riding mower to start and parts are diffecult to get some times. Mine at work can cut over 6 aceas an hour, do you really need that much machine?

mike

Mike,

Thanks for the input on this. When I mow all of the 'south 40' (which is most of the time), it takes me between 3 1/2 to 4 hours - when done correctly. Sometimes, I only mow the 'south 20', which is a 2 to 2 1/2 hour proposition.

I have to do quite a bit of over/under/around/through simply because of the deck and the turning radius of the mower.

Your comment about the deck I have noticed. The deck(s) on some I have looked at are very superior to the 'thin' deck that is on most riding mowers. If I buy one, I'm buying the extended warranty.

Can you tell me if you can answer this question.

What is the difference in 'pressurized oil system' and 'fully pressurized oil system'? Not sure I can find or truly understand the difference.

Tex

Texas,

The heck with zero turn....here is what you need!

Riding LawnMower.jpg

Just checked them out. OUCH!

Man, they are really very nice looking machines, but the price is kinda steep!

54" Cut, ZTR Mower (Gas)

MSRP: $8,399.00

I can 'get it' for $7,299.00

For that price, it had better know how to mow, all by itself.

Tex

tex,

i have not heard that term before. what can the differance be? if its not "fully presurized" what else can it be.

mike