Yet another Question

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Sorry for so many questions today, How do I safely jack or lift away my bow from the bow stop/roller? Can I jack up on the keel, I just want to work on the bow where the roller rest and can't access it while it is on the trailer. If I remove the roller will the boat fall down on the bracket, that would hurt!!

So, do you damage the boat by jacking up on the front portion of the keel?

Dan Is right... you can do It on the lake...just launch and run up to the bank It's simple clean and press the scuf on the boat....I would not jack up the boat...The boat should not come down If you remvoe the roller but It's hard to get it back on.........

Chris,

see what happens when you loosen the winch strap. My bow lifted enough that I easily changed my bow roller.

Steve

I changed mine out while I was at the lake. Took all of 5 minutes. Need to do the bunks next.

Harpo

Okay thanks all,

Mike R, That's a good idea you have, my only concern is damaging the boat further by putting all the bow weight on the keel, I guess that's strong enough, what do you all think.

okay all, turns out that since the chip is all the way down into the fibers, I need to repair with Marine Tex Epoxy, it takes at least 24-48 hours to cure, so I need to support the bow, maybe lift a 1/2" for a couple days.

So far mike has given one way to do it, any other ideas?

Here is a picture of bow & trailer for reference, this boat does not lift away from bow stop when unhooked like my tracker did.

thanks

maiden voyagesmall 21.jpg

Chris, take a floor jack and a 2x6 and jack it up from the bottom of the keel. I have done this when I need to replace the bow roller, piece of cake.

CJ

Guys - Given the weight of that HUGE Rude motor, I assume Chris's fulcrom point would be quite a ways back, so would he want to put the 2x6 at the pointy part of the keel or farther back where the boat flatens out more? I'm thinking, VERY dangerous I know, that you would want a wider area supporting the bow then a sharp point?

Trep,

Your getting me more nervous :(, but the keel, sharp point runs all the way down into the pad of the hull.

Looking at the picture, I was thinking of supporting it right after the words Ranger Trail on the trailer, going towards the stern of the boat. So right where thoase reflective stickers are.

Let's discuss more, Chrissy is a sissy and don't want to put a bigger hole trying to fix a smaller hole. :eek:.

Someone suggested a big bail of hay????:unsure:

Stupid glass boats, where's my Tracker :angry::huh::p:lol:

I'm also going to use the jack trailer and jack it alllllllllllllll the way up, like I did over the winter, it may actually spring up a little when I loosen the bow strap, if that happens then I'm good to go, but I did some research and it appears the 400 series Rangers were made to sit on the trailer with 2"-4" of bunk hanging off the back, that would indicate a "bow-heavy" load on the trailer to me, and perhaps that's why the bow does not jump up when undone.

Hi CJL

How about just backing your trailer in and floating your boat back a few inches then pull back out. Make sure your bow strap is tight and extended so your boat stays at that point. THat should be ok for the trailer and give room to work on the bow.. When done just go fishing and load it al the way up when you take out.

Paul

CJ Is right did It today..lay the board acros the keel jack It up enough,,NO Problem....A first for me....have installed hamby's before but never jacked up the boat..worked fine......JR

But I would have to drive home with the bow eye not up all the way to the stop, but just a couple miles, so that s/b okay, I might do that.

Chris, if you want to come over to the house we can get this done I have done this on two of my boats not a problem. I am 5 mins from Spurce.

CJ

Thanks CJ I appreciate the offer, but the epoxy takes a couple days to cure so it will have to stay in my driveway in one position for a few days. Should I put the wood long ways or short ways along the keel or does it not matter.

I may not be able to do it until next week anyway, I was told it must be at least 60 degrees for 48 hours.:wacko:

I lost your cell phone #, if you don't mind could you email it to me.

BTW - MC is starting to come around, I watched Tommac form this site land a nice Smallie up there on Saturday.

CJL

Latest posts

Back