wow,what a show i just watched

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFF WHITE

Reaction score
carlos,i just watched the show on snipers on history channel.wow,i didnt know all that about your father.2500yds!thats a haul!

I saw the show as well. Read the book "Marine Sniper". It goes into a lot more detail. Carlos, we could use more men like you father.

Rich D

There is no book that will ever fully tell the story of Gunny Hathcock... But, I think his greatest legacy is "our" Hathcock and the thousands of other Marines who are who they are because of Gunny being who he was... It is hard to articulate well...but doing it the way the Corps does it makes every Marine just a little bit better than the Marines who came before them because it is a shared and inherited tradition. Because the Corps is proud of its traditions and past and comfortable with itself...The marines of today are outstanding Marines. If I ever thought I was a warrior... Man these Marines of today can really kick some butt... I am so unbelieveably proud of them all... And, I am sure that Gunny (especially the coach and teacher) would be busting his chest with pride... These guys are sharp... and squared away... Just my two cents...

The "Gunny" was awesome,...I've said that before and will continue to say it!!....and anyone who is into long range shooting knows just how much of a stud he was when you look at a target 1000yds away let alone 2500!!! LOL...Rumor has it, that his long standing "confirmed" record was recently broken in Afghanistan by a Canadian sniper,...2550yds!!

(Hit a Taliban truck driver in the chest with a .50cal,..but I have not yet heard that it was "confirmed",....now THAT's a poke!!!) Unreal..

Mac

Greg -

Thank you for your comment on the "Legacy".....

There are thousands of Marines, Navy and Air Force personnel, Cops and Firemen who will never get a chance to make a 1,000 yard shot..... Many who will never even see combat..... They are all "Heros" simply by virtue of being willing to put their lives on the line to keep us safe!

God bless you, Carlos III and all your fellows!

me!

Saw that show some time ago....

Awesome by any standard.........they must have ice water in there veins I have a hard time SEEING anything at 2500yds..

I wonder if you can buy the scope they use...here deer, deer , deer, I just want to look at ya ....

Drugman, at 2500 yards, the deer can't here you! LOL In fact they will be long dead before the sound reaches them! 2500 yards is almost 1.5 miles! Next time you're on Champlain, come to the north end in Rouses point, set up on the shore, and plink a can on the VT shore! Let me know how it goes! LOL

I saw it too and was pretty amazed to say the least.Hat's off to your Father, Carlos.

Evening all my good cyber friends,

Greg, thanks for the legacy comment. I have tried to pass that onto my son also. We are a part of HIS legacy and he is also a part of ours. All comes together.

To all with the kind words. Here is what my dad would have said (I can say that as I heard him say it many many times) He was jsut doing his job. He was very adamante about that and that was his whole thinking and that was why it was so hard for them to get the information on what he did. To him it was no big deal as "I was just doing my job". Dad did have a wonderful way of understating the obvious :)

Under stress, Dad was cool as a cucumber that is for sure.....

Thanks all for the good words you all, really... thanks

Semper Fi

Carlos

PS I do hope to eventully make a rally and meet all the personalities here!!!!!

I caught that show also. I imagine there are quite a few soldiers who do not have their names on the wall due to your father. You must be extremely proud of him.

Sam -

Thank you for mentioning "The Wall"..... About 15 years ago, I was in DC and went to visit The Wall..... I was draft-age during Viet Nam..... The was no way that I was ready for the emotions that hit me when I got there..... My first thoughts as I approached from a couple hundred yards off were "it's so long"..... The closer I got, the weaker my legs became..... When I got to the point where it filled my peripheral vision, I stopped..... I just wanted to drop to the ground and cry..... There were so many names................ I finally got close enough that I could touch it - but I didn't..... I felt like, if I touched one name, I'd have to touch them all............... It was so quiet there..... Everyone, it seemed, was like me..... I had tears rolling down my cheeks..... And a sorrow in my heart that will never leave...............

God Bless!

me

People don't understand the absolute power of that monument/memorial. It will literally take your breath away. I have been there many times and for those who come to visit me I can certainly arrange a stop there (or any of the other monuments/memorials/museums. True story, I was at "The Wall" when I noticed some of the park service employees carrying a ladder, so I followed them (they do that so people can take "rubbings" of names). Ends up they placed the ladder for an older blind gentleman who proceeded to climb the ladder and place his hands on the wall. When he got to a certain spot he stopped and tears started to run down his face. He turned to his family (who were also in tears by this point) and said " He's here" I, to this day, don't know if he meant the writing or spiritually...whichever, it shook me to the core.

The other "powerful" moment for me was touching the Enola Gay on a special tour (before the protests closed the display down, actually before it opened).

I have been to functions at the White House, all of the museums/exhibits (Van Gogh etc.) but nothing has ever equalled those two.

TOXIC

I saw it once while there for a conferrence. I had a 3 day weekend and no time to see anything in DC. I left and went looking around. When I came to the "wall" it kind of stopped me in my tracks. I guess, the underlying message to me was that for each and every name up there, somebody's brother, son, father, husband, friend, had died, probably scared in a jungle, thousands of miles from their loved ones so that we can have our freedoms. Freedom isn't free, in fact it's rather costly. Wish I could take a few of those protestors there and mash there nose up against it until it sank in. Probably wouldn't, but it would make me feel a whole lot better. The other place I've always wanted to visit is Arlington.

I saw the 1/2 size "Traveling Wall" when it came to Pontiac, MI. a couple of years ago,...stopped there on my way home from work one day. It was unbelievable! Found the brother's name of a friend of mine...very moving!!

I've been to Arlington too.....it's unbelievable!! Saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.

There is nothing on this planet more impressive than a Marine in Dress Blues, doing his duty infront of that tomb.

We found the graves of several of our Nat'l Hero's and a few friends of my brother's....Mini's Dad is also buried there. Like Tox said,..it'll affect you to the core!!

Mac

Rob mentions Arlington... And, the sacrifices that have kept us free... One of the most moving moments of my first visit to Washington DC was standing on the back side of the Lincoln Memorial and being able to look across the river at Arlington...realizing that it was Robert E. Lee's home before the Civil War... The irony of that moment and the thousands of soldiers who have been buried there... Just caught me. For me the Marine Corps Iwo Jima Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial have very personal emotional meaning... But the long history of sacrifices for our freedom are all over Arlington...

May God keep all of our Service Men and Women safe... And, may he keep watch over all of our fallen brothers...

Semper Fi

DC and its monuments, memorials, museums, etc., should be a required trip in every child's life. It will instill a better comprehension of who we are as a people and a nation. Best part is that it is all free. Let me repeat that, it is all FREE. Tourism has been down since 9/11 and the Anthrax thing, now we are at Level Orange so that doesn't help either. But I still think DC ought to be on everyone's vacation list at some time or the other. Besides, if you are nice, I might even let you bunk at my place and worm a few days of fishing out of me at the same time. Really though, if someone needs a place to stay and/or a DC tourguide, I would be happy to oblige. DC is a must see!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back