WOW BASS and FLW Go "Head to Head" on dates

• Thread starter Greg Meyer [URL]http://www.bassmaster.com[/URL]
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Wow... The FLW has "RESCHEDULED" their Championship so that it directly conflicts with the BASS Bassmasters Classic dates. I am sure that there is more to this story but here is at least "one-side"..

The following is from www.bassmaster.com:

2004 Classic, FLW Championship date conflict

Kessel's, bass anglers' statements regarding FLW schedule change

BASS Communications
http://www.bassmaster.com

It'll deffinetely make it hard on all of the manufacturers that sponsor and support BOTH events,..and it'll make it hard on the Reps that have to be at BOTH places at the same time?!....I have one question though,...WHY does is take BASS so @##@ long to make a decision and pick a date and a location?!...they haven't done EITHER YET!!!!...The FLW just goes to Logan Martin and says..."We'd like to have our championship here, in the end of July!!"...No problem..Done deal!! Rumor has it that the BMC will be at Lk. Wylie, but they haven't confirmed it yet nor have they even finalized a date yet..(supposedly, it will be announced TODAY)...a "3 week window" does NOT constitute a date in my humble opinion!! Seems to me that BASS had better get off their collective hiney's and start making their decisions in a more timely manner if they want to avoid these kinds of things....the FLW is not going to sit on the side lines "waiting" for BASS to make a decision before they have to make theirs...granted, this is NOT going to be good for the sport, when they force the angler's to make a choice between the two trails,...but they've been down this road before and both trails seemed to survive just fine. With all the up and comers waiting on side lines to jump in and take a shot at the big time.....here's their chance!!

I think you'll see a lot of the well known names slowly drift back over to BASS because of their already established careers and their "loyalty",...but we'll see a lot of the new names popping up in the FLW ranks...because of the much BIGGER money in the FLW. Nobody ever said this was going to be pretty,....should be interesting to see how all of this pans out!! (I am going to be directly affected by this too!! BPS supports the BMC....Ranger is at BOTH,..and AP will want me at BOTH!!..LOL...guess it's a case of "the highest bidder wins!!)

Mac

The announcement will be made today, here in Charlotte, on the 2004 Tournament. It was in the paper today.

Mac, to answer your question . . . Why does it take so long?

Look at the expanse and the quality of the two championships. To get all the work done, the contracts signed, the sponsoships (local) worked out, takes a while to do. Besides that, hasn't BASS traditionally been in this basic timeframe? Also, FLW had already announced earlier in the year that next year they would be in September again, and now they have changed.

I'll echo what has been said on other boards. Jacobs has no deep rooted interest in helping the professional (and amateur) anglers out on this. He's going to do, what he wants to do, everyone else - tough. All that bravado and chest beating on what he can do for the Federation, helping out the anglers, is just bull. It's a very simple formula for FLW, if you ain't part of their paying sponsors, or part of Jacob's organization, you are left on the sidelines.

The loss of key anglers, Yelas, Hite, Brauer and the like, from the FLW tour, will have a negative impact. However, Jacobs has deep pockets, so he will weather the storm for awhile. Let's all remember, there were only TWO ANGLERS this year that qualifed for both the FLW Championship and the Bassmaster Classic.

Any bet's on where Clunn will fall on this? Let's see, sponsored by Nitro, and fished more Classics than anyone (I believe). And at this year's Jacobs cup, when he broke down, there was no help available to him from FLW. Don't think it will take a genius to figure that one out.

Mac - when you come to Charlotte, you'll be plenty tied up. However, I will certainly plan some type of get together at the house for those here that will be in the neighborhood. Cold brew (including having Trep bring some home brew), good TEXAS Bar-b-Que will be on the agenda. Taking early reservations for the Inn on Hilldale.

Tex

This is very unfortunate, but I had a feeling the proverbial pi$$ing match was coming to a head sooner than later. My question is WHY? Why must this battle of wills even take place. It's like two kids on the playground and quite frankly I find it a bit immature. I have heard from other pros that Jacobs does things his way, if you don't like it, his attitude is 'go fish BASS'! With an attitude like that, people will. Customer service, gee haven't we been down THIS road before! LOL You slap people in the face and they WILL take their entry fees, sponsors, exposure, and fishing talent elsewhere. BASS should make their mind up a little sooner, I mean if the olympics can know where they're having their next event years in advance, why can't the Classic? But also, FLW could have just as easily said they would host their championship the 1st week in Sept and avoid any potential conflict all together. Just my .02

Well,..it's true that the FLW did make an announcement earlier that their championship would be in Sept. again,...and they did go and move it into the end of July. They did this because of families being their main focus and so many kids being back in school the first week of Sept......."vacations" are over and the attendance at this year's JC was waaayy down because of that reason alone!! But don't think for a minute that the FLW doesn't have to deal with the same contractual issues that BASS does. Granted,..Jacob's has deeeeep pockets indeed...and the relationship between the FLW and BASS has been less than stellar,...however,..when the FLW was born,..who was the most excited?? The ANGLER's!!! The FLW was THEE talk of the town for several years with the increased purses and additional "exposure" it was going to bring into the fold. Irwin has brought into the sport MORE non-endemic sponsors and more money than BASS has done in 35 yrs!! There's no doubt in my mind that Irwin's a player when it comes to taking advantage of a business opportunity, and he'll do whatever it takes to benefit his "cause" regardless of the affect it has on his competition. He didn't become a billionaire by waiting for the "other team" to make a decision. He's always done it his way, and it's worked so far!!..LOL I will say that ESPN deffinetely has the advantage when it comes to the "media argument" but based on the horrible job they did at this years' BMC,..they had better do an absolutely AWESOME job in '04, or that argument will be a mute point. This years' coverage and the weigh-in show was some of the worst I've ever seen!! BASS and ESPN are not working together when it comes to that...I think Irwin's just taking advantage of the mistakes that BASS has been making lately and the FLW is hoping to expound on them.....we'll see!! It's going to be very intersting indeed!!!

Mac

Hey Mac, if Ranger is short on people for the booths at either event, let Bart know I'm available! LOL

Well,..one of my "sources" is at the FLW Sponsorship meeting today in AR....and at last nights dinner/meeting this "conflict" was the "talk of the town".....and there's a LOT of people saying "someone's going to have to give" on this one....the "sponsors" will demand it!!! They CAN'T be at both places at the same time!! So,..we'll see...the FLW says,.."Why did BASS wait so long to make a decision??"..and BASS is saying "It's always been OUR time slot"......so it ain't over yet folks...we'll see someone change their plans...and my personal gut feeling...it'll be the FLW that changes...but that is strictly MY opinion though!!! We'll see....

Rob,....YOU call Bart and tell him!!! LOL....Tell him you'll work for free,....you can room with me and Mini (if Mini's there)....and I'll cover your meals!! You just get your hiney down there with Bart's blessings and you're in!!

Agree Mac...BASS has never been noted for bein' timely on dates. I have never been fond of BASS tactics and ideas either. Now this is just opinion but, FLW RULES! I watch every event I get a chance to watch...

BTW..The best ultra-light rod I have was purchased at Wally World and is an FLW edition..

I want to hear what KVD, Mr. Clunn and Mr, Nixon have to say.

I know I cant be in both places at once....

Remeber Mr. Jacob's history.....he is a takeover monger. He used to buy businesses, trim the fat and sell them like they were yesterday's news. He is in it for himself and whatever self serving rationale he has.

BUT you have to give him credit, play by my rules, or dont play at all. That is why I dont play with his organization.

Mini

and Ray Scott didn't have that approach when he owned BASS?

oh wait a minute,..he didn't have too...he didn't have any competition!!! LOL

You're right Dan,..this is going to get UGLY!! But someone will flinch....I think it'll be the FLW....they'll change their date again and say it was in the "best interest of the sport".....but it'll be because of sponsor and angler outcry more than from Irwin being "cooperative" LOL

Ray was an insurance salesman Bill. He molded the tournaments to fit the anglers....not the otherway around.

No comparison and you are doing a disservice to the sport by bringing Ray's name into this. He had NOTHING to do with it, but I will bet you he will have alot to say about it!

Disservice to the sport??!!.....dude,...Have a marlboro and a coffee.....LOL!!! I'm not dragging his name into this,..I merely said when he owned BASS he didn't have the FLW to contend with,....he COULD do things his way..all of the time!! Different time...different way of doing his thing....he had the playing field all to himself,...it's not that way anymore!!

My point exactly....(I knew I get your blad head red with "disservice" LOL)

BUT he did allow for flexibility and promotion of the sport, just not the sponsors.

Mini

This is just spoke in the big wheel. Irwin's sights are a little higher than the couple million ESPN paid for BASS. This is for network share. Not necessarily to garner the most, but to take as much as possible away from the opposition. He's going to make an opening or, most likely, takeover a weak one. However, it takes more than one blow to chop down a tree. It's going to get ugly.

I agree Dan. It will get ugly and it just might turn the american public off....afterall fishing is SUPPOSED to be a recreational non spectator sport in the eyes of the general public. This may make the sport look like baseball with all the millionaire cry babies all wanting marketshare. Its gonna hurt more than it helps.

Mini

Somebody needs to get Irwin Jacobs to remember that it was a stringer over the side, a bag of moon pies and vienna sausages and some RC that made up the entire list of "extras" (sometimes some headache powder to wear off the night before)... The "gloss" came later and is a recent phenomenom. Most fishing still starts out in a little boat with dad... And, it is not the sizzle alone that sells our sport. The genuine enjoyment of it and the fun factor are the lasting qualities that draw people over a lifetime. Mini is very right that if it gets twisted to MLB like "shananigans" there will be a big collapse in the average guys attention span on TV.

Fishermen don't get paid 10million a year to strike out 80% of the time and "walk-out" because they think they're getting screwed!!! lol...Baseball DOES suck!!!! ahahhaha

Unless you're a Tiger's Fan,...then you can party like it's yo Birfday cuz they DIDN'T break the ALL TIME LOSING RECORD!! ahahahhah

Did the fact that they had one of the best records, if you only take into account the last six games, give you guys any hope for next year?....LOL

Way to go Tigers!!!

Now...we just get to sit back and watch the Lions!!!

They should be getting close to some record for losses over a couple/three years, aren't they???

az

All we need now is to get Vince McMann in on this. Think of Pay-Per View opp.

"EXTEME BASS MADNESS" Featuring the specail Main Event Tag Team Cage Match of Forrest Wood and Irwin Jacob's vs. Ray Scott and the Triton Boat guy.

This event will feature a spcial guest referee, Johnny Morris (who is the only true winner in this because no matter who wins the match, all bass fisherman buy their crap at his stores).

Just one more example of how Tournaments can take the fun out of something as silly as catching a fish on a stick.

"Can't we all just get a long?"

NOT!!!....We'll ALWAYS have fun fishing regardless if the tournament trail "owners" get along or not...it doesn't even matter ....you'll always have fun jerkin' toads with sticks whether people do it for money or for fun.

Well, if Marke is gonna be the bump-boy, will you need a new towel boy???

az

Finally, a tourney series where beer is allowed at weigh in! LOL And Hooter's girls assisting on stage and the release tank. Where do I send my entry fees???????

Hey Rob,

When you "graduate" from bass fishing to walleye tournaments.... You'll find out we do have beer at our weigh-ins... Folksy atmosphere...

I told Pete I'd love to come out and fish an eye tourney with you sometime just to see what it's like. But he told me the last tourney you won with only 1 fish? That's not blistering action! LOL But I do want to come out and catch them like you see on In-Fisherman, like perch! Vertical jigging and hooking up every other cast on frying pan size eyes. That's livin!

Yeah... We won with one fish... The lake had a slot limit of 2 fish 14-16" and one fish over 24".... We had one fish at 28 1/4" for 6 1/2lbs!!! We caught lots of other fish 17-24" but you couldn't keep them...very frustrating!!!!

Yeah... and you bass guys are allowed only one for safety reasons...LOL

Latest posts

Back