Working with fiberglass

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
I've never worked with fiberglass before. Can someone here tell me if it's possible to widen a hole where a screw has been pulled out without doing more damage (chipping, cracking, fraying, etc.)?

On my TV-18, the console windshield has four screws that hold it in place - two in front and one on each side. The screws are routed through a rubber insulator, then into the fiberglass console. On the passenger side console, the two side screws have both pulled out of their holes.

Rather than having the whole console replaced ($350 + shipping), I want to widen the holes, then use stainless Phillips-head bolts, washers, nuts and some silicone as the insulator to secure the windshield.

Does anyone see a problem trying to do it this way?

No problem at all.....I used to thru bolt my windsheilds all the time, I dont have to now with the design of the 9 series boats. Just remember to use stainless steel fasteners.

Mini

Yeah, what Mini said. I did that for my winshield too. Any minor cracks will be covered by the rubber washer.

So, do you just use a regular drill and bit at high speed? Should I put some tape over the hole before I start to keep the chipping to a minimum?

deffinetely use tape over the area you intend to drill and i'd recommend drilling a tiny pilot hole 1st,.... then go back thru it with your regular bit in a hi-speed drill....you'll be fine!!

I know a guy who thru-bolts his windshields with JACK_NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lordy, Lordy, Ken! ROTFLMBHO!!!! Scott made me explain this running j*** n** stuff over dinner on Friday night!

Seriously, I thought to myself, "I wonder if they make those things small enough to use to fix this problem". They would be perfect! Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the ONLY one with a j*** n** fixation.

Does anyone think that using plastic drywall fasteners (the kind that expand behind the wall as you run the screw into them) would work in this application?

DO NOT use household type jack-nuts for marine applications!!!

Mo,

Don't tell me you've already done it....OH NO...you're SCREWED AGAIN!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I know, I know ...... "Call Craig in Parts for a 10% discount on a new passenger side console."

Right?

But can Craig GUARANTEE me that he can get a 2001 model side console, or will it be the 2002 model's color. They've changed, ya know. I wouldn't want to do it right unless I can do it RIGHT!

Mark, you found a windshield? Sorry I never found a pic of my old one. DMV won't release the vin # either. That's kind of odd since I OWNED the boat last. Civil service employees, go figure! They did mess up while I registered my new vehicle and for once I saved! Needed new plates, register the truck and my boat trailer. I figured about $200, she says, "$91 please". Man I wrote the check so fast and got outta there! LOL

Wait'll Buford T. Pusser pulls you over this year and when he looks at your registration it says "Motorcycle"...and you're in a truck,..pulling a boat!!!,.........Out comes the sawed-off Bat!!..LOL

"BOOOYY!!!,.....Wana Step off'n that motorcicle!!!".....hahah

Back