winterizing

• Thread starter richard hostens
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard hostens

Reaction score
does any one have an opinion as to wether it's a good idea or not to fog the carburaters. i have no problem doing

the cyl.'s but i've heard it makes the engine start hard in the spring. anyone had any problems

thanks guy's

I've never had any problems in the past. And yes, any fogged engines gonna start harder than normal, but i usually throw in another set of plugs after i get it idling on its own, and i'm good to go for the summer.I now have the NX882 with an EFI 150. Does anyone do their own fogging/winterization on the EFI motors, and if so, whats involved. Its cheap insurance but its $80.00 a yr to winterize it, but they do everything, including the livewells and etc. How do they run a concentrated fuel mix thru the system? Thats what they say they do, just wondering.... Thanx, Jim

On a carb mtor, you absoutley want to fog it thru the carbs. The reason for fogging oil is to coat the internal parts of the motor to prevent rust. If you only spray it in the spark plug holes you are only coating the upper cyl. When you spray it in the carb throats on a 2 stroke you are also coating the bottom end of the motor, the crank, connecting rods and bearings. Those are all things that need protecting too. The fogging oil never makes in into the carbs, it goes right thru the venturi into the motor.

I have been fogging my outboards thru the carbs since i got rid of my envinrude and got a merc(the rude had a cool little port that you put the fogging oil thru) and i have never really had a problem gettign them going the next season. It will stall a couple times and smoke alot but its no biggie.

I dont know how they do the opti or EFI engines

Never have fogged mine but, then again it's stored inside.

Back