Winterize - 150 EFI Opti

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Riley

Reaction score
Is it worth having the marine service dept. winterize my 2006 Merc. 150 EFI Optimax? Is it a do it your self job or am I better off spending the $125 to $150 to have it winterized by the marine shop? Also, if someone has the detailed steps for winterizing this engine I would appreciate it if you could post them.

Thanks

Dan

I'm also intrested what it takes to do that? But I fish all year round where I leave at. That's in south Texas where we get a good freeze one's ever 3-4 year's.

Ace, If you use it year round all you need to do is make sure you do not have the engine etilted so water will collect in the lower unit. I see that Dan is in NH, so that is a different deal. Unless the Opti is different than other 2 cycles, all they do is change the LU oil, get some stabil in the gas and make sure it is run up to the engine, and fog the cylinders.

In my opinion, it is not worth paying somebody else to do. You will pay alot of money to do a very simple job.

I use my boat untill very late in the year, and start out very early, so my winterization consists of only changing my lower unit oil every year, and storing it with the motor in the down position. I also use fuel stabilizer year round.

The main thing is to change your lower unit oil, any moisture in there will freeze and crack the housing. Get the oil, the pump for the oil, and new gaskets for the plugs.

Fogging oil, easy to follow instructions. Keeps cylinders from getting any rust while sitting.

Store the motor in the fully down position. That will allow any water to drain out of the cooling system. I like to trim it fully up then fully down a couple of times just to make sure all of the water is drained.

Batteries. Topped off with water, and fully charged. I leave mine in the boat, with the charger running. It's best to unhook all wires for safety reasons while it is stored though. Never know when a switch will go bad, or a mouse will chew a wire.

Drain plug out to circulate some air through the bilge.

STABIL or SEAFOAM in the gas to keep it fresh.

I also re-pack my wheel bearings at this time. Having it sit over winter with moisture in the bearings will pit them up. Good time to do them to be safe.

Probably costs $20 in supplies, and you will have enough to do it for 3 years.

Steve

I was told by the dealer that you hook up a 150 opti to the computer and put it in sleep mode. The engine adds oil and takes care of whatever it needs until started again.

fatrap

I took a quick look, good link. It looks like the EFI and Opti do not get the ususal fogging- have seen some buildup issues. Take a look Dan.

SoonerFan - Great Link - Thank you...and thanks to all who replied...This is very helpful..Dan

Back