Winter or Spring Patterns?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Smith

Reaction score
First of all I would like to say Michigan weather is wierd.

Last week it was snowing and had ice storms and then this week we have had 65+ degree weather. Ok ill cut to the chase now.

My dad took me and a buddy fishing in yesterday in our 911CDC and went to a small lake about 20 miles away from or house. This lake was only 108 acres and has some deep holes in it because the DNR stock Walleye in it. We fished from 9 til 1pm and only got 3 hits. Now I realize having only 3 hits is good for this time of year because they are still lathrgic from the cold Michigan weather. But the thing is we dont even know that they were bass. We fished slooooow with every spring time lure that we could think of, carolina rig with a 3x soft plastic and a 1/4 oz weight, a jig(crawling along the bottom) and a suspending wild shiner jerkbait. Now the question is are these fish still in their winter pattern because the water is only 40 degrees or is it because a cold front went through the night before, or a combination of the both? Also i would like any input on when the real winter to spring period is. Is it when the water turns from 40 to 45 and then goes up from there?

And what would you have done in this situation?

Thanks and Happy Fishin'

T.S.

ps- i got another story if any of ya wanna hear about bad luck.

When I was stationed in Iowa for 3 years I went through the same situation. However, Some of the biggest Bass that I ever caught there was only 2 or 3 weeks after "Ice Off". And I caught them on Spinner Baits. Those Northern Bass are tough. As soon as there was a couple of nice Sunny days they would get active. So I will answer your "Q" with:

Go against the grain a little and try a Big Bladed spinner bait. You might get surprised with the results. Also, I always kept my "Ice Fishing Box" in the boat with me during the early spring. If the wind wasn't blowing and the fishing was slow, I would just act as if I was on the Ice and jigged my "Sweedish Pimple's" off :)

Hope this help's

Max

<>< <>< <>< <><

Latest posts

Back