why so slow?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim panasik

Reaction score
i bought a used 90 hp inboard bass tracker boat. it only go about 10 mph my friends. say for 90 hp it should go faster.does anyone have a similar boat?

90 hp "inboard" bass tracker ... Really? I'd like to see a picture of that one. I don't know squat about that model. Could you post some specs? Length, weight, etc... I'd love to see it.

I have to admit though - any aluminum with a 90hp engine should go much faster than 10mph. Are you using speedometer speed or GPS? Boat Speedometers are notoriously inaccurate.

All the best,

Glenn

Found some info on Scream and Fly regarding what I am assuming you have for a motor (90hp inboard sport jet). If that is what you have, that changes things. That's not what I was thinking of when you wrote "inboard". I was thinking propped inboard. Jets are different. The report didn't sound too good. Reports of the motor being a "dog" out of the hole and slow. Sorry for the bad news post, but it's a decent starting point to understand your setup. I'll look for more info.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100907

All the best,

Glenn

Mike C,

I'm assuming it is a jet drive, because that is all I'm finding on Tracker and inboards. From what I've read so far, it sounds like none of them are too fast. Probably not built for speed - more of a shallow water exceller. I found a report of a Tracker with a 175 jet only doing about 40mph, and the comparison of a 225hp jet to a 150 outboard. From the sounds of it, the jets are very inefficient at converting power to push the boat - only achieving about 60-65% efficiency.

Here's another link:

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/boats_motors/message.html?message_id=199885

All the best,

Glenn

thats sounds about right, i have always heard they are inefficent, i lloked at one the engine was a 90 but it was rated for 75, ive always heard 25 % loss but it cold ve more. my guess is he has a bad or bent impeller or the cover on the bottom of the boat is bent closed.

mike c

Back