Why don't our boat trailers have shocks?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Okay, the transom saver discussion started me thinking (something that does happen maybe two or three times a year)... Why aren't there shocks on out trailers instead of just springs?:huh:

I've thought about that myself. I can understand possibly not needing them on our lighter weight tin rig trailers, but it seems like the heavier tandem wheel trailers for glass boats would require some sort of shock :unsure:

The weight carrying capacity of the springs is such that it recovers from bouncing quickly - but if you were to ride in your boat while it was being towed over rough terrain, you would find that it is an extremely rough ride - kind of like a corvette on the "performance" setting. They dont' put shocks on them because there is no need to - you don't ride in the boat on the way home, thus the ride doesn't have to be "plush". It's actually rather harsh - thus my reasoning for the transom saver that I recommended - the Lock N Stow. :lol:

I've only seen one boat trailer ever with some type of shock system, and it really wasn't a shock - it was a hybrid spring loaded type deal - on a Stratos trailer. Didn't work as well as the springs on a regular trailer though, and I think the newer trailers come with springs from Stratos.

All the best,

Glenn

Along the lines of shocks and transom savers, I have what may be a stupid question. With your boat sitting on the trailer does it not take the full brunt of any rough roads regardless of transom savers or the like ? The boat is securely fastened to the trailer and wil lbounce when the trailer does. Does this not cause the motor in turn to bounce and stress the transom anyway. I am seriously thinking about a lock-n-stow before spring but am not sure about the value. If this is a foolish question I apologize.

It's not a foolish question Beck. Please see the question on the transom saver, just a few posts below, and do what I suggested to see for yourself the advantages of the LNS over the regular Transom Saver. I think you will buy a LNS after the results.

All the best,

Glenn

transom savers transfer shock from the trailer to the lower unit of your

motor. i prefer lock and stow.

;)

For the purposes of analyzing the transom saver, the boat strapped to the trailer is effectively one structure so mounting the transom saver to the trailer or to the boat itself does not make a difference on the impact to the lower unit.

I love this discussion. :cool: Finally getting to use my mechanical engineering degree with my favorite hobby.

Besides the discussion about the transom saver, the boat is secured to the trailer, and the trailer has the typical leaf springs, and the trailer still flexes somewhat, thereby causing "pressure points" on the hull where the boat rests on the bunks, rollers, etc. So wouldn't that cause stress on the outer hull and internal bracing of the boat at those points? (and that would include both glass & tin rigs). Just a thought ;)

The trailer is pretty stiff so can be considered rigid. You are correct Greg, there would be pressure points on the hull. The hull/trailer contact points are where the forces are transmitted. I would guess that the design criteria for a hull would have to consider how it is cradled on a trailer or else there would be a lot of broken hulls due to trailering. With Bunks the forces are distributed over a fairly large area.

Hi Glenn

I have had my regular transom saver bounce off at the trailer end and wore down the plastic end.

I am in favor of the LNS as I expressed in the Transom Saver thread. I'm buying one! Much better design than the old fashioned ones. The engineering point of view proves that the LNS has at least the same "transom saving" ability and does not have an adverse impact on the transom or hull. With all the additional benefits and features of the LNS, its a no-brainer.

I have thought about the lock-n-stow myself. I jsut havent got one yet. It reminds me of the trailering racket that it built into an evinrude. My old rude had one, swung out from the tilt bracket and locked the motor into place nice. I used it for years and never had a problem with it or the boat.

Yep Jim B - basically the very same principal, but with the added benifit of not letting the motor turn side to side either. I had one of those on my 120 and 150 Johnsons also.

All the best,

Glenn

My transom saver just sits on a little square nub un the trailer, and under the lower unit. No pins or straps holding it on. If I trim up the motor, it falls on the ground.

Here in Pa. we are not known for having the best roads in the country. I can tell you that when a trailer gets airborn at 70 mph you will hear the tires chirp loudly when it lands again. :angry:

I have never had the transom saver fall off.

With good secure straps, the trailer and boat become one. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but if I were to bounce on my trailer, I wouldn't see anything that would tell me different.

Steve

The transom saver on our Nitro fish n ski is attached securely to the nub on the trailer by a pin. It cannot come off when a bump is hit. Saver secured to trailer and motor both, nothing moving, nice solid triangle.

I have the lock n stow on my 2006 BassCat Sabre. I really like it. I have the normal transom saver style on my 2000 Nitro NX882. They are only $50-60 bucks. Give one a try and report back to this board what you have found. Lock n Stow all the way!

Shocks on a trailer in addition to leaf springs do relieve stress on a trailer. I had shocks added to the past 3 Nitros trailers I have had and there is much less trailer bounce.It does make a difference period.

Sorry I was interrupted. With leaf springs only is not as smooth as with leaf springs and shocks. The shocks really dampen the ride of the trailer. There is less stress on the trailer and the boat. Like I said above I've had shocks installed and you really notice a difference. I have a friend who installed them, who does alot of work on off-road vecihles. It was worth it esp. if you plan on keeping your boat for a long period of time. I understand what vibration and stress do to metal since I was involved in that area for over 20 years. And if you dampen the stress and or vibration to metal the longer it will last. Common sense.

Latest posts

Back