which prop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Leavitt

Reaction score
Hi there guys, this site is pretty cool...I was wondering if anyone can help me pick wich prop to buy.Does anyone got a boat like mine and if so what set up do you suggest? thanks,Brian

Welcome to the site Brian.

Before anyone can suggest a prop we need a lot more information. I got the boat and motor from your profile( although posting that in your post would be handy) we also need to know about your current setup and how many rpm you turn and how fast you are going hows the holeshot etc.

I thought someone might have the same boat set up as i do.( that would of ben too easy huh?) right now i am running a power tech 4 blade 23 pitch stainless,holeshot is really bad,top end is good 66 on the speedo. rpm is about 5400. I was told when you run a power tech prop you need to pitch down one pitch over a mercury prop . I see alot of people are running a 23 tempest. thanks for the reply

I tried one of those props on my 882 and had the same issue with tyhe horrible holeshot. Mine would just wind up to like 4 grand and the boat would just sit there. I found it was venting too much with the small hub. I ended up needing to get a cavitation ring for it and that pretty much fixed it. I ordered the ring from Mark the prop guy thatposts over on the props board on the BBC. I think the ring was like $15 shipped.

In the end i never liked that prop on my 882 it just wasnt a good fit at all for that hull. I have tried it on my z7 and it works very well on that boat its just too small of a pitch with my 175xs

glad to hear i am not the only one with this prop problem..from what i am reading in different forums, most guys with this boat are running either a tempest 23 or a trophy 23. this brings up another question, 3 or 4 blade? I think 4. any opions here?

My opinion is you would most likley like the 3 blade better. the 884 and 882 were pretty similar hulls and at least mine did not like any 4 blade, it just worked better with a 3 blade. i also tried a trophy as well as the powertech and the results were the same over ventilation and poor holeshot and the trophy didnt hold as well in rough water as the powertech and was slower.

In the end the 23 tempest it came with was the best fit and after having it blueprinted that prop was pure gold on my hull. It really worked so well in every aspect after the blueprint job. If i had to rate the three props in question on my 882 here id rate them this way

1) blueprinted 23 tempest (by a mile, this race isnt even close)

2) stock 23 tempest

3) 23 power tech tro4

4) 23 trophy

thanks for all the help.....youre opion is the same i am getting most,loks like i need to go get a new prop. that being a tempest. is there any after market props the same?( just trying to be cheep here for a minute). thanks again

When i had my 882 i ran it at 2 1/2" below the pad when i ran the tempest. The 4 blades dont like that kind of height so id drop it to 3"

I dont thave that boat anymore i have a z7 now and i run that one at 2 1/2" as well and i run a 24 tempest on it. Its really a differnet boat it actually runs nice wit hthe 4 blade where my 882 did not.

You still may want to try the cavitation ring and see if it helps. They are cheap and you may end up being happy with the powertech with it on.

Back