What Battery Size?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Walker

Reaction score
I need help, my starting battery went bad. What size battery would you all suggest as a replacement? The battery that was in the boat is a 24 series 500 cca Interstate, its in a 99 882 Nitro with 150 xr6. Should I go with more cca like 600 or just stay with 500? Thanks for any help.

Ed Walker

Trojan 24SM-850 or 24SM-1000 cranking battery. You can NEVER have too much juice, and Interstates have never been on the top of my list of batteries. I personally run a 27SM-1100 for my cranking battery, and I never have problems.

Here's a link:

http://www.trojan-battery.com/Products/Marine.aspx

All the best,

Glenn

Yep, i agree with Glenn 100%. You can never have too much juice. I run a Trojan 72tm for my startign battery because my 150xr6 dosent need 1100 cca to start. With the 27 sized battery I can run all my electronics and pumps all day long without haivng to worry about killing it.

There is plenty of room in the 882 to upgrade to a 27 if you wanted to, all you need is a new tray.

Im not a fan of interstate either, i have never had one last more then a few months :(

Oh great !!!!! I have 3 new Interstates coming on Monday..:wacko: No horror stories about them.:(:)

Glenn tried to warn me about Interstates, but for the price I can get them through the company I work for, I figured I would try them. $50 each for their SRM 24 deep cycle.

Agree with the others Ed, you can never have too much juice.

Steve

I'm cool with Interstate batteries. I still have the original one (starting) in my 2001 boat and no sign of trouble yet. I once had a car with an Interstate that was in it when I bought it. I drove that car for around 80,000 miles in about 4 years and I don't even remember putting water in it.

I just put a TM battery in my boat and I considered stepping up for a Trojan but the more I thought about it I realized I can buy two Everstarts from Wal-Mart for the price of one Trojan and I'm willing to bet I will get more life out of two Everstarts than one Trojan.

Harpo

Harpo,

Yes you can buy two Everstarts for the price of one Trojan( a little more $ but whatever) but what you wont get is the reliability or performance. I doubt you will get more life out of two everstarts, at least thats been my experience.

I have never gotten more then a season out of an Everstart( normally less) ever and i have run a few. Same with Interstate, duralast, etc ( all the same battery and yes i have run them with no success). Every time I have had one of tese batteries fail it has either screwed up a tournament, or worse totally botched a weekend of fishing in some far away place. When you maintain something like its your job only to have it fail at the worst possible time is really a drag, thats my experience with the Everstart. Honestly i think its the rough water i boat in but a marine battery should be able to take the abuse. My Trojan batteries have taken the abuse and for 4 seasons.

I have heard the argument that you can just go to walmart and swap them, well thats true as long as 1) There is a walmart nearby 2) You have the recipt with you and 1) They have the batteries in stock( that has been a problem for me in the past). Then when you figure the pro-rate charges in after a year the walmart batteries become quite expensive when they fail like they have for me.

I have 4 seasons on my scs 225 Trojans and they are showing no signs of giving up yet. Thats 4 seasons of fishing just about every weekend( both days) from April to November with over 20 tournaments mixed in per season. The amount of money i would have had to spend on Everstarts in the same timeframe would have cost me over double what the one set of Trojans did. And with the Trojans I have had no reliability issues, no failures on the water, no ruined weekends and i dont run out of juice because they flat out perform better. Personally i would rather spend a little more upfront and not have issues and get the performance i want. Sure you can have issues with a Trojan battery but your are less likley to, they have a much better track record.

Completely agree with 100% of what Jim B wrote!

Harpo - if you are willing to bet that you can get more life out of two Everstarts than you can with one Trojan - I'll take that bet. Any day of the week, and twice on Saturdays, Sundays, and any tournament day! :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

I recently got three group 27 TM Batts, Cabela's Brand Flloded batt, got a good price and went that route becuase I had a gift cert from them. So far I have been very pleased with the batts, and I do many tourneys that are electric only lakes and must fish all day on the TM for tourneys.

My cranker is an everstart and must run my Livewells allllllllllllll day without the o/b recharging it, never had a problem with that either, uh oh, no I jinxed myself. :unsure:

CJL

Latest posts

Back