Wet Feet

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
After reading Steve R's reply to CJ's message PT185 it opened another question for me. Steve you say you never get your feet wet and you load your boat with the fenders just under the water. I always have my fenders just above the water and I'm in at least 8 or 10 inches at the bow. I always have to change shoes for the drive home and in the winter it's a real chilly situation. I see guys with pickups step from the bow to the bed of the truck but I don't have a truck.

My question is when fishing alone how do you get out of the boat without getting wet feet?

Harpo

ILay the seats in my trailblazer flat and open my hatch. I get the boat al ready and loosen the winch so I will have about 5 feet of slack with it locked. I back the Trailblazer down and the tracker floats off the trailer. I climb thru and get on the boat and unhook the winch and away I go.

For reloading I have the fender tops about 4 inches out of water. I use the big motor and run it up as far as i can. I put the motor in gear and use it to "help" me push the boat on the trailer as I winch.

The trailer I have is a hustler and it doesn't fit the boat exactly, it is about 6 inches to long. That is why I have to use the 40hp motor and winch at the same time to get it on the trailer perfect.

Hope this helps..this is the easiest way I have found to launch and load by myself. Iam sure there is an easier way...plus I never get wet....I used to in my S10 but I belive the TB's hitch is farther from the axel than my s10....plus I have a hitch on the TB and didn't on the S10. Hope this helps

Donnie

Sooner...

For launching by myself, I have a pre-cut length of line that I hook to the boat and to the trailer...it's just enough to float the boat off the trailer...then I ease the jeep up the ramp and pull the boat up to shore...

For retrieving, I back the trailer down to get the bunks wet, then pull it back out to the right 'depth'...then, depending on the ramp (dock or not...most around here do not have docks) I either jump back in the boat and drive it on the trailer, or float it on and hoist it up with the winch...I don't get my feet wet either...

az

I bought a $15 pair of hipboots at Gander mt that I keep in the boat. I just toss them in the truck when I launch. Balance and grace are not my strong points, so why tempt fate...

Rich D

I don't have a problem with launching the boat. I float it off and then use a rope to pull it over to the dock or beach it if necessary.

If I'm following what I'm reading it sounds like you guys don't run the boat all the way up to the bumper but you let the winch do the rest of the job. I had never thought of that.

In the BPS catalog there are 14" and 18" hitch extenders with a step on them to help in this sort of thing. Are those things worth a hoot or do they cause trouble with towing?

Of course in a month or two the water will be warm enough and I'll be wearing sandals so it won't be a big deal anymore.

Harpo
hitch extender.jpg

In the Van I do what Donnie does if it's COLD water and/or I don't want to get my feet wet. Also, I added the Walk Ramps to the trailer tongue which help a lot! Other times since the Van has a roof rack, I step on the rear tire on the van, hold onto the Roof Rack and step onto the back lip of the van bumper before steping on the tongue ramp.
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servle...d=44922&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults
walk%20ramp%20for%20trailer.jpg

I always drive mine off and on the trailer. I give the boat just a little slack then back down until it floats. Get out walk around the front of the truck, walk down the dock, step into boat.. you mean you all don't have docks at your ramps???

BF

Bruce, there is one lake I occasionally go to that has this old antique floating contraption next to the ramp. You can back down the ramp and then walk down the little narrow dock and get in but there's not much of a place to tie up. Most ramps have a dock but not right on the ramp where you can get in and out with the boat on the trailer.

Harpo

Do wet feet and tin boats go together? Maybe the ramps that I use are sloped different here. The bow of my boat sits over the ramp, out of the water, when I load my boat on the trailer. I just jump off the bow onto the ramp.

Bob G.

????? I have never had my feet wet loading or unloading my 185. I just grab the back tailgate and step onto the tongue...shouldn't be a problem:)

TEE

I guess y'all are dumping your boats at wilderness ramps. I load my boat, hook the bowstrap and step out onto the dock to walk back to the truck.

TOXIC

Harpo-

I forgot to say that I had a pickup truck.LOL..I just go from the boat to the bed and jump down on dry land.

I always just power it on untill it hits the roller.I really hate winching.Thats probably why I have to replace my roller every year.

If it's nice and calm you can back the trailer in farther to make loading easier.If it's windier,leave more sticking out of the water to keep it from blowing around as you load it.

I do alot of fishing by myself,and have it down to a science.LOL

At the lake I go to by myself most of the time the water is right at my back bumper, and that's with the trailer fenders sticking out of the water a couple of inches. Would a hitch extender solve my problem or would it create a differant one by being hard to tow?

Harpo

Latest posts

Back