Upgrading to a 24V System

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wiring should already be there for a 24V system but, don't know if the factory wiring is sufficient:unsure:

Robert:

The wiring you have should be good. The 24 volt system will draw less amps as long as you keep the batteries charged, and in good shape. Just remember, higher voltage less amps, and amps are what you have to worry about. I do believe that the breakers are set for 40 amps. While this was good for your 12 volt motor, it may not be enough for your 24 volt system. You may have to go to a larger breaker.Not really a big deal. You can get the breaker at any good boat dealership.

Mike

Robert

In early 2006 I installed the same trolling motor (Motorguide 24V 71 lb. Variable speed digital) replacing a 12V 41 lb. Motorguide on my Nitro 170 DC. I had to replace the single battery tray with a two battery tray and also had to replace my old charger with a 2 bank 24V charger. I used the original wiring and 40 amp breaker. So far no problems after almost 2 years.

If you need any more info you can e-mail me at [email protected]

I think you will really like this upgrade especially under windy conditions. Good luck!

PS I fish Truman 3-4 times a year. Great fishing lake.

Rich

If you do a search under my name "CJL" from a couple years ago you will find many discussions on this.

Hope this helps,

CJL

Latest posts

Back