Updated!!!-Anyone know what's happening with my merc 200 EFI???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikel Stephens

Reaction score
The mechanic is gonna get another shot at this soon.. (third time)

1996 merc 200 EFI starts first time, purr's like a kitten in idle, give it the gas and it dies... anywhere from 2500-3000 rpm's. Here's what I tried:

1st idea was fuel problem so:

-siphoned all fuel from tank and re-fueled...same thing.

-replaced primer ball-thingy on fuel line...still got the same results

Sent it to the mechanic for a "annual service" and explained the problem...mechanic couldn't reproduce problem in test tank-and sent it back to me...maybe the mew plugs, fuel filter...etc. and maintenence was all it needed....WRONG...Same results

Sent it back to mechanic who stated he would test it under load to reproduce the problem...same results, he couldn't get it to malfunction in the test tank.

Next step...field test at a lake with my mechanic-very expensive.

One final note...when it dies, I turn the key off and back on but do not get the test tones unless I "bump" the ignition without starting. I also sometimes get the tones when the motor dies-out.

suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Here is what it could be, or things to check:

Faulty anti-siphon valve

Trottle cam pick up point misadjusted

Carburator:

Plugged high speed orifice

Plugged intermediate orifice

plugged float chamber vent

The carburator problems above would be the result of a very dirty fuel filter, or one that was broken the last time you changed it allowing particles to enter the carburator. So in other words the last time you changed the fuel filter and it was in not bad condition these problems are probably not it.

Sound electrical to me, ign switch? Bad connections at the engine harnes? The part about the test tones not working when you go to restart, also could be why it won't fail in the test tank, becuase it's not getting any type of beating while sitting on the trailer vs being on the water.

Good Luck

BF

Have him run a check on the main wiring harness... had to replacve on on an 2002

after chasing ghost, thats what they found.

Kb

They had to replace a bad module on my 02' 90 only after about 2 weeks:(

The main harness connecting the motor (under the cowling) is probably loose or corroded.

Check that before you talk to the mechanic.

Mini

Got the boat back today...Jimmy says there was a bunch of gunk on the fuel screen in the vapor cannister and a fuel line was also kinda kinked. He fixed me up and said it tested fine...can't wait until Sunday to get her out on the water again...

Exactly where is this Vapor Canister located?

RoyC

There is a fuel filter/ water seperator under the cowling... Don't know much about this Vapor Canister!!!!

Got out and it wouldn't plane again....

It's in the shop for the 4th time now............ :angry:

Latest posts

Back