'98 884 savage merc 150 EFI nitro series

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Rowland

Reaction score
Guys, the boat/engine above is giving me fits. every time we launch the engine runs fine through picking up the passenger and idling out. upon takeoff we go about 200 yards and it dies. after retaking off the same thing happens 2 more times. we changed the fuel filter because we thought there might be water in the fuel. we've never put ethanol in it. same problem. because we thought the water was rising to the top of the filter, we bypassed the filter and everything worked fine. i don't remember the RPM's but we only ran at about 30mph. we fished 1 day a week for the 2 weeks since then, with no problems. we probably got all but 3 gallons of fuel out. yesterday we installed the new fuel filter again and hooked it up. put Quiksilver Quikcare in the tank and 20 gallons non ethanol fuel. at takeoff we ran 3/4 mile and slowed down b/c some big waves. ran another 1000 feet and it died. same problems as before. frustated we go back to ramp. about 3 hours later partner takes the boat out and it dies on him before getting on plane. it starts right back up and he makes a half mile run and come back. we put 4 total in the boat to go fish and it doesn't go 200 ft. before it dies. so we bypass the filter again and it is now having the same problems it did when running with the filter. i'm confused, please enlighten me.

Im with TOX. Start with the bulb and fuel line. Its a cheap fix if thats it, plus it NEVER hurts to have fresh line and bulb. Try that and let us know if it helps.

the bulb has been replaced and it is flat only after it has died 3 or 4 times. the fuel lines have not been changed in the 18 months i've owned it. how do the lines go bad?

Replaced fuel line and pump.

Ran fine first thing in the morning to the first fishing spot.

On the way to 2nd spot died, started right back up ran twenty feet died, all the way back to dock.

Had lunch went out again ran fine, then started dying again, problem is sporadic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

To me it sure sounds as if it has water mixing with gas....have you tried running off remote small tank knowing that tank is clean and water free?

I thought that might be it, so I ran to fule down to a few gallons, added 20 gallons fresh gas, added Quicksilver fuel additive, and chaged the filter. Ran for a while and then started again.

Latest posts

Back