Truck Bed Cover

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Wanted to let you know that I finally got off my rear and put a bed cover on the truck. For those that know me, I am an uber conservative guy and have a tendency to over-think a lot of things. I have been looking at bed covers since I bought the truck in 04!!:lol::lol: CIII and Eric have a full topper, Mac has the roll up type, I got to play with an aluminum roll-back type when I went to Arizona and a client of mine has one. Meyer has a full topper but his doesn't count because it looks like he lives in there!!:p I weighed price/functionality/security and a million other variables. I settled on a product called Undercover that is bed height, lockable, lightweight, removable and looks darn good. Main objective was to get some dry storage for trips even though now I will be limited to bed-height storage. Not the cheapest option but that is usually what happens, I end up with something in the middle. I am very happy with the way it looks and functions. FYI for those that might be looking.

TOXIC

I would go for a more secure type too if I owned my trucks....but,..since I "lease" and get new wheels every 20-22 mos, I opted for the softer vinyl roll-up just incase I get something new and it won't fit!! This is the 2nd truck I've had w/the shortbox,..so I've been able to keep my cover from truck to truck. Eventually, i'll get a new ride where the cover won't fit, and I won't be stuck with a hi-$$ cover that just sits in my garage!! I can sell this one eventually and not lose anything!! There is a "method" to my madness.....LOL

You could move one of these from truck to truck as well. It only weighs 50lbs and comes with a bracket to hang it in your garage. 2 brackets on each side of the bed and no drill bolt on installation. Easy as pie. Wait till you see it, you'll be hooked. End comes down over the lip of the tailgate and has 2 locks. Yours is a lot better if you need to haul something taller than your bed though, I either have to take it completely off or prop it open and I don't like the idea of propping it open, it would stress the shocks.

TOXIC

Yeah my cheapo $189 snap covers last about 10 years so I like em';)

I almost went that route TEE but with thefts the way they are at ramps and such I wanted something to keep an honest man honest 'cause we all know that if they want in bad enough they will. An exacto knife will open the softies with no effort and is quiet. To get into mine their gonna hafta make some noise at least.

TOXIC

Im like Tee, i like the soft covers. I had a hard one once and i found it to be a PITA.

I dont keep anything in the bed thats valuable, if its worth something( IE my travel tools and cover) it goes in the truck when im at the ramp.

Those covers that are lockable are a piece of cake to get into anyway!

Tox,...my point was, I may not always be in a P/U truck...may go back to SUV's...may get a Trk with a dif size box etc..etc. My current cover only fit's one size box and isn't adjustable.

I have a 2002 FOrd F-150 Super Crew. I put a tonneau cover on it and this was the best thing I did. It's easy to remove and store and when we travel, my stuff stays dry and safe. I plan on getting a new truck when I retire in 2012 and will definitely get another tonneau cover.

Barry from La. :)

I have the A.R.E. cover. Matches the truck and fairly easy to lift off if I need to. I love the ablity to carry things 'unseen' and safer. I don't leave much back there of any great value, but still nice to have the extra 'dry' cargo area.

Tex

Those covers that are lockable are a piece of cake to get into anyway!

Yep most of them are. A good friend of mine bought one of the tri fold covers for his truck under the guise of "security". It now sits on the floor of his garage for two reasons. One is it was a pain whenever he needed to remove it. The second is when he lost the keys we popped the lock in less then 30 seconds with a screwderiver and a wrench. Im no pro at popping locks but it was way too easy to do. Is a pro wanted in there it would most likely only take seconds.

The only ones that could be tough are the ones that come down over the gate and have a solid lock. I know ARE glass ones fall into that catagory, not sure about the undercoer(i know it comes over the gate but the lock looks wimpy)

I have an Extang full tilt soft one on my truck( had one on my last truck too) and i love the function of it. I can roll it up if i happen to unexpectedly need to or if i know im hauling something big i can take it off frame and all in about 30 seconds with no tools needed. It weighs almost nothing and keeps my stuff dry when it rains.

Tox I had a Truxedo. A soft cover that is so easy to use. If you looking for security cause you keep stuff in the bed then this is not the one. For ease of use and dry you can't beat it. Had one on the F150! Can even buy them to fit if you have a box in the back!

Randy!

Kudos on the cover! It's comforting to add more security to your truck. Just having all season use to such a big area makes the expense worth it in my book.

I do love my Leer cap. It's flush to the roof line of the truck with a full liner inside so a big fella like me can even move around comfortably with a bunch of junk. It makes a great remote cabin on a deer hunt and can carry just about anything out of the weather under lock and key. I don't know if I've experienced any MPG loss/gain, as the cap came before the mods, but I would think little, if any. They said it was easy to take off and on with two fellas. I've never taken it off, so I can't say. If you can find one in a different color, you can get it painted to match very inexpensively. (It's a very simple repaint.) New, the cap is a couple grand, but they're out there for half that and less at dealers and private sales. Just my penny's worth. :)

Sheesh....just get a YukonXL!!!!

Lol Tee, thats pretty true. The cubic yard of mulch i picked up the other day would have been a treat in a SUV....

Yukon, schmoo-kon..... :lol:

I had a couple Suburbans and loved 'em, but once I switched to the CC 'rado and a cap, there just ain't no turning back! As far as room and storage, it is hard to beat!! :wub:

I had a leer on my last truck and opted for the soft version (with a frame so it lifts like a hard version.. Never regretted for one simple reason: when out and about and I find something to bring home, unexpected, that wont fit under, with the hard cover you're stuck.. with the soft cover, rollup or whatever, you can roll, load, and go, and frankly, even with the hard cover, I hardly felt any sense of security anyway.

I went from a pick up to a Yukon and havent looked back. When I need a pick up I call my buddy Don for his F250 :)

Toxic, I am on my third Undercover!!! Well I put one on the daughter's old ride, my 2003 F150 that she now drives and now on my 2006 F150. Last night I finally started installing my BedRug. What I like about the Undercover is that I can take it off on my own.

Congrats TOXIC, I have an Undercover on my 2005 F150 and it's great. Found it online for $250.00. Have to drive 3 hours to get it, but $40 in gas was worth saving a couple hundred. Stayed at Clark's Hill and slept in the bed on a air mattress, pulled the cover down and was snug as a bug. Even had a thunder boomer come through that night and stayed 100% dry. The deeper bed worked great with the Undercover.

JP

Ya know, I thought that I could camp back there in an emergency....You could even let it open and drape a tarp over the 3 open sides and it would work. I'm such a pansy I wouldn't make it a habit though!!:lol: Mini's Pukeon is a rolling apartment!!:p

TOXIC

I have a camper or a topper. Whatever I need gets put on in a few minutes. Great thing about the camper is I can turn on the air on a hot day. In an hour you can hang meat in there.

fatrap:lol:

I like the Pace Edwards JackRabbit it locks and the fit is nice

100_0852.jpg

I've never seen one like Dewey's before! I think it looks very good! I have a soft/roll up tonneau cover on my F-150 and it works very well except for the lack of security.

My 'other' truck has a nice A.R.E.'S cap cn it that I think is great. At the rear it replaces the tailgate with a vertical door that's all tinted glass and with a tinted window on each side of the door. It has a screened window on each side. And a front window that looks over the truck cab. Inside it had a BedRug that soft and great. It would be a pretty comfortable place to stay if you had to.:cool:

Uncle Billy

The one Dewey has was my second choice. When I was at Yamamoto in Page, AZ, I fished with a FLW guy who had one and it was electric!! Push a button on your key fob and it retracted. Bottom line, they (low-down, bottom dwelling, scum eating, thieves) can get in ANY of them if they want. Cut your roll-up, break the glass in your topper, pry open the rest.....only keeps an honest man honest and a snatch and grab theif away.

TOXIC

pukeon....lol. no one has puked in it! Yet! lol

You know you can get a tent that goes over your truck bed Tox....just make sure there is enough ventilation. Wouldnt want you to have Methane Gas poisoning.

Latest posts

Back