Trolling Plate or Drift Sock

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim C. Jackson

Reaction score
Hey Bob just wondering if it is ok to put a trolling plate on the new 150 optimax or should i use a drift sock for trolling? Some have told me the trolling plate is hard on the motor as it is acting as a brake on the engine. Also would it affect performance when running all out tubing and such. Also is the Vengance prop a good one and does it have the vent holes, I have heard the Enertia is very good also. Thanks

I'm not Bob, but I run a trolling plate, The Trol-A-Matic on my 200 Opti. The only performance drawback, in my opinion, is in reverse. This particular plate is spring loaded so you never have to worry about forgetting to lock it in the up position. At speeds around 6-8 mph, it comes up on its own. During faster runs, the plate actually acts as a stabilizer. To me, its a win win.

I thought the Optimax comes with an Enertia? Mine did. I was also thinking idle speed for extended periods is bad for the Optimax. I'm new to this but wondered about trolling also.

Well I decided to get my boat at Bass pro as I dont like the local dealer, and they told me the dealer is responsible to prop the engine as they have been running Vengence or Laser 2 props, but I told them I wanted to try the Enertia for the test drive as it is supposed to be a great prop!

I got mine from BP also. I guess each store chooses what prop to use. I am very happy with my Enertia. I may prop down a size but will still stay with the Enertia.

Yeah KYSean they told me with 4 guys in the boat and half a tank of fuel in Denver the boat would run 45mph with the 17 pitch on it. The lake they are at is 6000 ft elevation so thats pretty darn good. I have just heard the Vengance prop is a entry level SS where the Enertia is a premium prop and more $. Maybe Bob will tell us.

I had 6 people on my Targa V-18 combo with the optimax XL 150 and got 40 MPH WOT at 5100 RPM. Bob stated my rpm could stand to go higher hence the prop down size. I haven't had it out with just me yet so I'll wait and see what performance I get then. I would love to be able to troll, we have great Striper action on a few of the lakes around here and lots of Walleye.

What elevation are you at? You are running a 17p right. I am thinking here at 7000 ft elevation I will have to run the 15 pitch to get the rpm where it needs to be.

Latest posts

Back