Trolling motor help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Chandler

Reaction score
I have a 1996 nitro savage 886 with a motorguide fw-FB 71 pound thrust 24v. My buddy took the batteries out and now I do not know how to reconnect them. There is a red, an orange, and 2 blacks coming from the front plug to the batteries.There was no jumper connecting the pos and neg of the 2 batteries as in most 24v applications.The trolling motor worked fine before being unhooked.How can I find how to reconnect it.

the answer to this is easy but not easy, depends on how your motor is wired, is it a straight 24 volt motor? or a 12/24? with out knowing that it is hard to answer you. if the plug is still wired from the factory the way it was new, you have the red and orange as positves going to the front, the two blacks are negative, you need to clarify the motor you have, as that is the wiring for 12/24 systems, straight 24 you will use one of the postives and one of the negatives with the batteries wired in series with a jumper.

one needs to always mark cables when removing, makes life more easy

I have a 99 Tracker PT185 and it looks like it may be wired the same as yours. I also have a red, black and a orange, black. This black wire has a blue tracer or blue line on the insulation. It is wired with the red and the solid black wire to one battery and the orange and black with the blue tracer to the other battery. There is no jumper wire. The crossover or jumper to 24v is internal of the 4 pin female connector wired to you trolling motor. My third battery has the outboard wires and all the accessory wires connected to it. Nothing else is connected to the (2) trolling motor batteries. Keep in mind that this wiring set up is used with a 4 pin trolling motor connector on the front panel. This is the way the boat came wired from the factory. Hope this may help you.

Latest posts

Back