Triton 190fs vs Nitro 185

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I am having a tough time making up my mind on whether to sell the Banana Boat and buy the really nice Triton 190 fish and ski that I found or keep the Banana one more summer.

The Triton was new in 2003 (2002 model) with a 150 Yamaha VMax with a warranty thru 2008. They only used it about 4 times last summer because they had another baby. They are wanting a pontoon to replace this one. This boat is loaded with about every optiion you can think of. I am wanting a few things for the Banana Boat (like a bimini top) but I don't want to spend money on something that I know I am not going to keep long term.

The guy is willing to sell me the Triton for wholesale which after looking around, I can't beat the price. There are many things I like about this boat like the bimini top, bigger motor, full bench seat plus fishing seats, bow cover, boat cover, cd player, 24 volt 67 TM, charger, keel guard, CD, ski cushions. etc. but I said my next boat would be a Ranger.

If I bought the Ranger new with the same options , I believe I would be pushing 28-30K as opposed to 20K for this one. Any opinions on this?

Go far it, you have nothing to lose. Triton and Ranger are pretty close as far as service and craftsmanship. You will not be getting the raw end of the deal by buying a triton. And sometimes the deal is worth making the switch for. I think you will be very pleased with the Triton and not regret it.

Teri, what is it the Triton will do that your Nitro doesn't do, other than a little extra performance?

Teri my cousin has the 190 FS also. If you can take the boat out for a ride. He did a lot of research on that boat before he bought it and he upgraded to the 200. He talked to a few people who had that boat that had a 150 and they were disappointed with it performace wise with a 150. I have rode in his and fished out of it and for a fish and ski its a nice boat.

Rich, that's part of my dilema because what I have is fine. Once I got the kinks worked out, all has been fine with the Nitro. The initial quality of the Nitro has left a bad taste in my mouth about keeping this boat long term.

The Triton will provide a bit more space, especially on the back deck which is where I seem to end up alot. This model has a rod box as well as ski storage. The Nitro rod storage on the side of the boat really stinks. I don't even use it except for kid poles. I like the design of the bench seat being one full seat in the Triton with a pop out piece to use as a step. It has seperate seats for fishing instead of popping them out as you do in the Nitro. There will be room for those who dont fish to stretch out which isnt there when you pull the seats out. Also, my seats are already coming apart at the seams from stepping on them. The CD player and hydraulic steering would be really nice and the full enclosure cover would be excellent for rain storms which I have been caught in. Not alot different but enough to make me consider it.

I had to giggle when I saw the title of the thread because your post already answered your own question. In this instance there is no Triton vs. Nitro, just you have to make up your mind to go for it. I do think Rich made a good point in "what is it the Triton will do that your Nitro doesn't do" and again you answered the question pretty clearly.

Seems to me that you really want a different boat, you have been thinking about this for some time and have finally found the boat that you like. You are just trying to justify the purchase and eventually you will find a away to do it. So what will waiting another year do for you? The same boat will cost more, your Nitro will have depreciated more, you will go on shopping and obsessing over the Triton & Ranger F&S boats looking for the perfect deal which you may have already have. So IMHO waiting isn't going to benefit you any. Stop the insanity and GO FOR IT!!

Oh, and once you do please post pics.

Cass :)

Not my boat...yet...but I do have pictures.
15851_l.jpg

I don't even know if he still has it. He did as of last Monday.

Just use this on it :) Then it will be yellow
21249858.JPG

Teri, Get the Triton and join the family! I went from a Nitro to a Triton and don't regret a thing. Just do it and you will be happy.

It's a very nice looking boat..Jr

Jr, I am coming to Indy this weekend and will probably go to the boat show on Saturday or Sunday and price out a new Ranger with the same features and see what it comes out to and then make my decision.

Not sure I am ready to eat 30K on a toy. I know what you are going to say...what about my car....now that was a different story and I dont regret it. I love it!

Teri

Nice boat! If you don't buy it, I'm selling my 188 Sport and driving from Mass. to Illinois to pick it up for myself.

Paul

TERI, I WENT FROM NITRO TO TRITON AS WELL AND THE SERVICE AND QUALITY IS UNBEATABLE.... LAST YEAR MY TROLLING MOTOR BROKE AND TRITON OVERNIGHTED ME A NEW ONE AND TOLD ME TO MAIL THE OTHER BACK.. GENERALLY YOU HAVE TO GO TO A DEALER BUT I HAD A TOURNAMENT IN TWO DAYS AND ONCE I TOLD THE REP AT TRITON HE SAID NO PROBLEM WE WILL HAVE YOU BACK ON THE WATER BY TOMORROW.. THEY ARE THE BEST...

Teri - Do what fits your needs and the kind of boat you want. If it was me, given your (sorry but true) trying to find the "right" car, take the time to find the RIGHT boat, and unless you are planning on keeping it a LONG time, look 1-2 years old like you are. I know Cass is planning on keeping that Reata a while and did her Targa before that. I just can't see dropping even 25k on a brand new boat, if you've never driven/fished out of it, and then find out you like someone else's and loose a couple of grand or more in trade value a year later.

Trep

Teri I love your car..Now thats a ride....If all goes well I may get me a new Vette when the lease Is up on this Impala....The Triton Is sharp but It's also a 2002 3 years old now...It sounds like a good price for the loaded 190..They look about the same as the Ranger...

I won't be at the boat show this weekend,I have my daughter In St Vincents and my grandaughter will be bouncing here and there,,

You have my Cell If I get loose I'll be at Killbucks booth..I can tell you the 1850 Is a big boat..Deep and pricey..29 9 list.But It really Is a sharp ride,you will see It there....1800 Is alot cheaper..But you really do pay for the name on new Ranger boats....

Tell Keith I said to take care of you,He will give you the best deal he can....JR

Teri, it sounds like you have a very reasonable list of upgrade wants/needs. Go for it.

Cool Teri - So, did you call Triton and ask them how much to wrap the new FS with a Banana Wrap!!!

Isn't the boat pictured a SF19? There's a difference between the SF19 and the 190FS as the SF19 leans more toward skiing and the 190FS leans more toward fishing.

Teri, Congrats on the new ride. You'll be amazed at the difference in quality and especially the way the boat handles through the turns. Not sure how the fish & Ski's handle but you may have to "drive" the boat a little more than the Nitro. With the 150 it should get the boat out of the water a little more so you might experience a little chinewalk. If you are the second owner make sure you pay the $100 and transfer the 10 year hull warranty. Triton will send you some hats and a few stickers once you join their family.

Teri

Does it or will it fit in your garage? LOL I know you have to be excited about your new ride, and i know from your recent posts that you had a problem with the Nitro fitting into the garage. Just wondering if you thought of that before this sweet deal came up.... Nice boat BTW

Mike

No real boat (meaning non-tin) will fit in the garage unless I expand it. That is part of the reason for the switch. I can have a bigger boat now because I don't have to worry about space issues because it isn't going to be at home. Eventually I will have a garage built at my cabin and I can build it as big as I want. That tiny cabin is going to look funny next to a 4 car garage about 30 feet deep. Ha!

Teri,

I am now on my 2nd Nitro boat. I have a 2000 NX882. My previous boat was a 1994 Nitro 170DC. I have liked both boats,however, I have been really unsatisfied with the service. I have been trying for a couple of months to buy replacment decals. I sent them digital pictures of the decals needed and when they sent the decals they were still the wrong color. Now it has been over 3 weeks and they were suppose to get back with me and they still have not. They even charged me $11 or $12 to send me the first two incorrect decals, must have cost them every bit of $3 to ship. There was something you said that caught my interest when you mentioned your upholstery in your fish and ski coming apart at the seams......My 2000 which I do not step in the seats is also busting at the seams. I am having a local guy re-upholster the seating. Anyway, here is what I am doing. I just bought a brand new BassCat bass boat. I was interested in quality and service and they provide both. Unfortunately for you they dont make a fish and ski. It is of my opinion that Nitro is getting a little big for their britches, they are not taking care of their customers and their prices are really starting to climb. My dad has a 1986 Ranger 373v that he bought new and has used for tournament fishing and weekend fishing, almost 20 years old and not one single rip in any of the seams....doesnt seem to be much of battle for quality in Ranger versus Nitro. I dont know that much about Triton but it sounds like your getting a good deal. I hope Nitro can take the criticism they get and use it to better themselves. I am one customer that spends a ton of money bass fishing each year and they have lost me as a customer.

Well looks like you are Getting it Done!! Welcome to the Dark, Dark side. LOL Did you trade the Banana boat or did the tin side loose another one and Trep has come to the dark side?

I just love this time of year when everyone gets new rides, it's a sign that spring is coming.

Cass

I am glad you got what you wanted..Believe me you saved some money..Lot's of money...I like It..I hope to get a ride at Patoka one day...Jr

Latest posts

Back