trim tab anode

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul white2

Reaction score
i bought a used nx882 with a 150 hp merc on it. i noticed where that trim tab anode thing is supposed to be is gone !! what is this parts purpose?? is it a necessity it's on the engine?? any help app.......thnxxx

Its used to help steering torque, not neccessary unless your having problems turning your steering wheel one direction.

hello thnxx alot........it is alot harder to turn the wheel to the left when on plane !! so this is the reason??? i mean it's easy to turn right but hard to turn left.......paul

yes it will help with that, those with hydraulic steering usually have a replacement part that just closes off the hole.

I believe the anode trim tab also serves the purpose of discharging stray voltage into the water vs. corroding your motor. If it's been eaten away, I would try to find a spot where your wiring is grounded against your boat (if tin) or motor, etc.

mine is just missing !! and the hole is still there too !! and how do you know if your boat has hydraulic steering??

It will have cable for cable steer and hoses for hydraulic. ;)

Paul,

The reason it is hard to turn to the left is because of the torque the propellar puts out. The propellar turns to the right on your engine, (I have the same one). Turning left is against this torgue and it becomes a challenge. If it is hard for you to turn to the left, then you dont have hydraulic steering. Be careful if you put one on with a fin, as this will help with the torque, make sure it clears the propellar.

Latest posts

Back