Trepper's Big News!!! See Ya in a Year!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK here is the news i've been waiting to post, but needed confirmation from my bosses this morning...

The Treppers are moving to Shanghai, China this summer for a year! I'll be taking the family, we'll move after school is out and the boys will go to an American school and we'll come back next summer. The Nitro will get winterized and put up on blocks so the tires don't get flat spots, and any other suggestions anyone has on ensuring my Nitro is ready to rock when I get back, would be appreciated.

We have more questions then answers at this point, I have to travel over there in a few weeks and get the housing process started and meet the folks who will work for me, i'll have to travel w/in the next year to Sydney, Japan, India, and other parts of Asia Pacific.

So i'll need to keep up virtual fishing through you guys, since the boat stays here in the US, but i'll bring a few rods to see what fishing I can do.

More info as I have it guys and gals!!

Trep

Trap good luck on your venture . You know you can always let one of us run the Nitro for you :wacko::wacko::p

:eek::unsure:

China will never be the same!:lol:

BTW...even out the trade while your there!;)

Trep!

Congrats!! What a great opportunity and experience! Be sure to absorb as much of the culture (and food) as you can. China has a unique culture all its own and very few Westerners get to experience to the depth that you and your family will soon have. Try to find some time to see some of the sights like the Terra Cotta soilders in Xia-An, the beautiful rivers in Gui-lin, and of course, the Great Wall!

As for the Nitro, a double dose of Stabil with a full tank of high octane premium and the engine run enough to get that fuel to the engine should take care of fuel, along with some antifreeze through the livewell, fogging the cylinders, setting the batteries in a climate controlled place on a battery tender, changing the lower unit oil, and washing/waxing the boat one last time. Oh, and try to prop open the lids before its covered or stored.

Keep us posted on how China is going once you get there!

The Chinese are thinking,...."MMMmmmmmmFresh MEAT!!"....LOL!!!:rolleyes::lol:

Be ready for the culture shock of your life!!!

Don't forget about your vehicles as well before storage. What about the casa de Trepper?

BF

P.S Don't they eat the bait over there........:unsure:

OK,

Mac, I dont think they will say fresh meet after they meet him. No meat to be fresh. Second they may not be able to catch up to him for he moves, eats and talks fast.

Now, I'm happy for Mike and family but it sucks loosing a fishing partner as good as Mike.

As far as posts on the fish we will have no problem rubbing in the fish pic's.

I do wish Mike and family the best and will miss them.

Dan:(

Hey Trep! Congratulations. I know this will be an exciting opportunity for you and the family. Did some checking, and I think I found the perfect place for you guys to rent while you are there. Probably meets all of your needs for both fishing, and 'cultural immersion'. I believe it's the one on the left with the 'natural roof'. :wub:

fishing_village.jpg

Enjoy!

Tex

Michael, This sounds like its going to be a great experience for you and your family. Good luck with the many decisions you have to make. We are all rooting for you here!

Mike L.

Wow! I'm happy for you and family. I am sure everyone is thrilled. What an adventure that will be!

Keep us posted on the details. I hope this site isn't banned in China.

Hey Trep, Do America's image a favor....DON'T WEAR YOUR COULOTS OVER THERE!!! We don't want the Chinese thinking we all dress like that. :D:lol::D:lol::p

BTW...e-mail me your snail mail address. I've got something for you and the boys.

Harpo

Thanks gang, the vehicles are going straight to Carmax for a cash sale the week before we move (don't have that date yet). We're still working on the date and details on the house.

I'll miss fishing all summer and next year, but knowing i'm comming back and my Nitro will be here waiting i'll make it through!

Trep

I wouldn't be able to make it....after a month, I'd need a fix baaaaaaaaaad!:lol:

Trep,

Will you be able to get beer ingredients in China? Better work out a deal with the local hops smugglers!

Rich D

Thanks gang, the vehicles are going straight to Carmax for a cash sale the week before we move (don't have that date yet). We're still working on the date and details on the house.

And you will buy some sort of proper tow vehicle [coughs-Sport-Trac] when you come back, right? :)

I had no idea to what lengths you would actually go to avoid fishing with me this summer in Wisconsin... My, my, my...:p

Now as for the real response, your kids will be forever the "envy" of their present and future friends... This is a fantastic opportunity for everyone to enjoy... What a treat. Good luck and I know you will stay in touch...:D

Have fun Trep. Are you allowed to tell us what you will be doing over there?

Dude what a chance of a life time. Just make sure you live it to the fullest (I know you will). Have fun! And if you buy the "hut" that Tex showed you, looks like you may need to do some water proofin' to the roof.

Donnie

Rich - Funny you should mention a tow vehicle!! I volunteered to Beka to sell the van and the nitro and come back and buy a nice truck and 911!! No dice!!! LOL

I am thinking of a 4 door pickup, or medium SUV with a big v-6, or the like. Of course if I could find a deal on a Red Dodge Magnum R/T with the Hemi to tow the Nitro - GO BabY!!!LOL

Ed - I will let everyone know on Monday next week after all the formal internal IBM announcements go out on Monday afternoon.

WOW, sounds like quite an adventure, especially for the boys. :)

Be careful and watch what you eat. I'm not sure if monkeys are kosher.;)

You should just sell me the Nitro (cheap), and buy a Z9 when you get back.:rolleyes: You'll have a whole year before you need to break the news to Beka.

Steve

Mike, that is some wild news.. all part of getting ibm's business out of this country. i am sure.

as soon as the ceo is willing to outsource his job, to someone in bangladore, who i am sure

would work for a lot less than the current dude???? obtw my last day with big blue,

was yesterday. retired after 31 years, funny part is, that i will probably go back as a contractor,

another part of ibm's strategy, hire contractors or suppliers, instead of having a permanent work

force. in a few years, there will be lots of american vp's, and all the rest of ibmers will,

be temporary, as soon as a more third world place is found, adios bangladore....

:eek:

If you haven't been to Shanghai you are in for a SURPRISE. It is very modern and clean. It actually is scary how fast it is growing around there. They're going to own us if we aren't careful. Strange thing is that there is no unplanned "dirt" left around there. Maybe you can find somewhere to fish. Food ain't too bad, but there is some stuff I ain't interested in- jellyfish for one, black eggs another. Stay out of the Knock-off market, it's about all junk. If ya just gotta go offer 35 cents on a dollar. I've been out in the bush a little, it gets pretty primitive once you are 5-6 hrs out of Shanghai. Don't forget to negotiate the proper "landing" on your return to the states.....I used to manage Western Hemisphere expats, so your bennies should be good. If not they are not treating you properly. Don't forget to check on lifeflight in case you or family have a medical situation, it ain't the same over there. Don't ask about kidnap insurance, you are better off not knowing. If you are going to return to your current town, and are going to be gone for only a yr, why are they selling your house? Disposal/moving/storage costs on the company side will exceed the payments for a yr unless you have a double honker. Plus you will lose any appreciation, which is one of the negatives about being an expat, and when you return, on every real estate transaction you lose money up front. If you don't like your home and will be moving anyway, the positives are they should pay all your realtor fees. Anyhow you really didn't ask for any advise on this, so on the Nitro, if it is carbed don't forget to drain the carbs or the oil will gunk it up. I'd fog it good too if it were going to sit up that long. LU and tires are already covered above. Good luck, and contact me if you need anything.

Trep, I do have one very important queston concerning Chinese culture that without an insider like yourself the West will never find the answer to.....Do the Chinese all go out to all you can eat Americian food buffets for lunch? :D

Harpo

WOW!!!!!!!!!Reading that was like a slap!:huh: What an absolutely great opportunity for you, Beka and the boys.. I am truly envious. So, I guessed right huh? You're moving but I didn't know it was going to be that far away.:unsure: I was kinda hoping you were going to be coming up to Crofton this year so we could have a nice visit. Oh heck, you ain't left yet. I still have plenty of time to talk you into leaving your boat up here with me. I don't hardly fish anymore so it would be perfectly safe. So if you would ever hear of a '99 Nitro 700 LX Dual Console with 115hp Merc being on the hot side of Anna with the guys, that won't be your boat, honest..:wub: I'm sure we'll talk before you leave Michael. Way to go!

Uncle Billy

p.s. Whatever you do, please follow the sage advice proffered by Harpo: "DON'T WEAR YOUR COULOTS OVER THERE!!!"

p.p.s. Dave. Congratulations on your retirement. I sure hope you can enjoy it!

Have fun over there Trep! Put some pictures of the Great Wall up for us to see. My brother in law is over in China right now. He goes over about once every other month on business. He's taking my sister with him for the summer as soon as school let here. She's a teacher.

If you get the opportunity, buy a bunch of Rolex's, Omega's and such while there. The Rolex's and the Omega watches that my brother in law brought my wife and I almost look like the real deal. The jeweler that sized them said that they were some of the best he had seen, if you know what I mean.

Trep - Ex-pat packages can really help with savings in a foreign land. Take advantage of the extra income and order up that Z9 and your Ram. Best of Luck and make sure you take advantage of touring the country. I travelled for 30 years and China was one of my favorite.

Congrats Trep! Just remember that cats aren't suppose to be edible! Contact me when you get back. I will probably have a nice suv for sale by then. :D

Hi Trep,

What an opportunity for you and your family!

Enjoy it and absorb the sights, and culture, what memories your family will have!!

Best of luck to you, hopefully this site will be available over there too! egMike

Latest posts

Back