Trailer Wiring - Blown modules

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Hunt

Reaction score
I have blown (Toxic, stay away from that one) two of the wiring converter modules on my Toyota Sienna in the last couple of months. The running lights still work, but the brake and turn signals don't. The module is the stock one that allows/converts the amber turn lights to work on a 4 wire trailer plug.

Any suggestions on why they are going bad? One guess is that I am plugging in the 4 wire when the lights on the tow vehicle are on and it is causing a surge in the module.

The module is Toyota's and came with the towing packing when I purchased the van. and.... the lights on the trailer seem to be fine- I tow it all the time with my Subaru with no wiring problems at all.

Help me Obe-Wan - You're my only hope!

David.....

I had this happen on my Jeep a couple of times... it was from the corrosion "leaching" up the wires from the connector to the module.

In my case, it was directly during winter, when there was alot of salt on the roads, and I did not cover the connector.

I doubt seriously that connecting the trailer while the lights are on could cause that much of a "surge"... in fact, unless there is a short somewhere (bad ground perhaps ??) I would not think it would be a "surge" at all.

I would go with the bad ground. Clean the ground connections on both the truck and trailer and that should help,unless of course there is a brake/turn light wire that has worn through the insulation enoungh to overheat the module but not enough to pop a fuse.

BF

Thanks Bruce and Sim,

I'll look at the ground issue again. It is always fun to trouble-shoot intermitent electrical problems.

david.....

Happened to my dads f250 last year and all he did was claen the connectors on the triler with a wire brush and on the truck too (be careful,,dont wanna get zapped).

He also checked the ground and that had something to do with it too.

T.S.

Back