Trailer Tounge Jack question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Does anyone know how heavy of a trailer jack i need for a NX882 trailer? Mine bit the dust yesterday and i need to replace it. The gears are gone and it wont turn anymore. They come in 800, 1000 and 1500# sizes i just dont know what i need. I hope its the 800 because its way cheaper then the others.

Can't you rebuild it with new gears? My jack is built into the trailer it looks like I could pull the parts out and replace them. Seems funny the jack should go already

Fatrap

Fatrap

It is 4 years old going on 5 and it has been used a bunch. i took it apart last night and the worm gear is stripped out. The big problem is there is no easy way to get any grease on this one the way its built and it was dry as a bone. I had to practally pry it apart to see what was wrong. Also the piece that holds the wheel is not welded on its bolted and all stretched out and isnt going to last much longer. It seems like a crappy design to me. What ever one i get im going to make sure wheel braket is welded and i can get to the gears to grease them.

Excellent thanks Tox. I was suprised that the jump from an 800# to a 1000# is like 30 bucks. Seems like an awful lot for 200# of capacity.

I recently replaced mine on the 901... went with a 1000# model from Walmart (same packaging/brand as the reese hitches).

While it seems stable enough, I have to lower the boat to move it... it wont "steer" if I have it at the same hieght as required to get it on/off the hitch...

I'm fairly sure that it is installed straight and correct...

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys, i ended up with the same 1000# one that Simmy got. It wasnt much more then the 800 would have cost me from west marine and i didnt have to drive to far to get to my local walmart. I painted it black to match my trailer better, all i need to do now is install it.

Simmy, im not sure on that one, i would think you would be able to move it easily.

Mine does the same thing,slides instead of rolls.It just started doing this the last couple times out of the garage,also noticed there are not any places to greese it.

When the jack is cranked up it changes the angle of the load on the bearings as well as the axis of rotation. Cranking it down so the load and axis is perpendicular to the ground (distributed evenly across all bearings) will make it easier to steer.

I always crank my jack down when manuvering by hand.

Just don't forget to adjust the Jack Nuts when you're done...

az

Guys - Mine is 4.5 years old, it's starting to CREAK realy bad when putting it down the last few inches, is there a way to grease it?? Can I just take it apart like Jim had to and then what do I use? Is the bearing grease ok??

They usually have a plastic cap on the top of the tube. Pop this off and the gears are right there. I used marine wheel bearing grease on mine.

TOXIC

Tox - Thanks dude, just did it! I had to take 2 screws off and there is a U shaped piece of metal cover, greased and put it back together! OF course i'm leaving on Fri for MD so no boating till I get back :-(

My trailer rolled off of a board I had it on and then the ground froze, I had to do a Striper trip and it loaded onto the hitchball fine but when I went to roll it the rest of the way up so I could stow it, it was frozen in the ground (a little). When I forced it up by cranking it stripped something in there and it was all over. The trailer shop said that I could re build it but it would take a while for the parts and in the meantime it was on the hitch!! I couldn't see commuting into DC with the 9 behind!!

TOXIC

Back