Trailer Tires

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Latley, I've started noticing what could best be described as fairly severe un-even tire wear on the boat trailer. Looks like tires on an old car with bad shocks. I have always been careful about keeping the tires filled to the proper pressure, 50psi. What causes this and how can I prevent it on my next set?

Next question...I know I'm going to have to replace this set pretty soon and I know I want to get radial tires made specificlly for trailer use but what is the best brand and where is the best place to buy them? Does Sam's sell trailer tires? They sure treat me right on my car tires. What do you all think?

Harpo

Harpo,

Every boat trailer i have ever seen with bias ply sires liek the ones on the trackers show uneven wear patterns. It happened to a buddy's 185 trailer. I would replace the tires with radials, good year marathons to be exact. The good years are great they last a good long time. I have over 70k on the ones on my trailer and they still have a of of life left in them. I would order them from tire rack because they will have the best price around. I doubt sams club sells them.

here is a link to the sizes and prices.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Marathon+Radial

The Goodyears are the best---Marathons are trailer radials BUT always have them balanced and max air pressure. The ones you have are good spares but I'd get the G/Y Marathons.

Mine did the same thing. Started cupping. I bought Goodyear marathon's for both sides. Great tires.

fatrap

Harpo,

I have Carlisle Radials and they have been to Canada and back twice and hardly show any wear at all.

I wore out the original bias ply tires on one trip (cupping and scuffing). I think my tongue was slightly down in front which allows wheels to wander just enough to cause wear patterns. Had them balanced and keep them at max air pressure.

Bill

Soonerfan,

I up-graded to radials last spring when I bought my boat. They are the standard 14" radial from Nitro/Tracker. I believe they are called Trailmaster. Two seasons now and zero problems. In fact, they show very little if any wear. I only wish my Interstate batteries were half as good, my cranking battery is already shot.

Take care...DH

Dale, good to see you on the board...how's it goin' in Ponca? I saw your high school marching band in a competition a couple of weeks ago. They were very good. I guess I must be the poster child for Interstate batteries. I'm still running the original starting battery in my 2001 Tracker.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I need to get to shopping. I started thinking about this yesterday. I noticed the cupping in the tires when I brought the boat out of the water and then on the trip back home I saw 3 boats on the side of the interstate with blown out tires. Spending $150 for tires just isn't as much fun as spending it on a new Shimano or even 30 lottery tickets.:rolleyes:

Harpo

Latest posts

Back