Trailer tire query

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Chris

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal, my Titan radial trailer tires have developed sidewall cracks and I would like to know what experience anyone has had continuing to run with tires in this condition. The dog-gone tires don't have 1,000 miles on them (3yrs old) and I hate to replace them (though I know it would be smart) What do you think?

Chris I have to do the same to mine. I had the Swallow bias tires and they both cracked real bad. The bummer is Iam planning on selling my boat later this year. Now I have to sink $100 in tires next weekend. I feel for you man.

Donnie

I would replace them, they arent safe with cracks like that. I would also get radials too, they will give you much bewtter life then the bias ply's will. they also trailer much better, less sway, bounce etc.

I've always just called them trailer tires. Never needed a better name.

Sorry about that, just couldn't resist.

Tex

I have heard of lots of issues with the carlsile tires, my father has them on his trailer with no problems but he travels only a 1k a year or so. I have gooryear marathons on my boat and they are super. I put about 15k a year on my trailer and they have gone two years with almost no sign of wear. I also had them on my last boat for 5 years with no problems either. i am not a big goodyear fan but these ones are pretty good.

My Carlisle Radials went to Canada, almost 900 miles and returned with no noticeable wear. They track fine. Make sure they are inflated to max. allowable.

It's not the miles it's the sun that kills trailer tires. Chris if BIG IF, they are short hauls to the lake (under 1 hour and under 50mph?) then make sure you have a good spare and run them. If you are going on long trips or faster speeds bite the bullet and buy new tires. Your life or the lives of others on the hi-way are not worth the price of tires. I like the Carlisle because they are made in PA.. I don't like Goodyear as a company so I shy away (that does not make them a bad tire) Nanking probably sells the most but they are made in China so again I shy away. I sell alot I just won't use them..

Chris I was quoted Carlisle radials for mine @ about $50 mounted & ect. Hope this helps some.

Donnie

Make sure that you include the trailer tires in your maintenance schedule. When I wash the boat I also scrub the tires and put a dressing on them (not the stuff that just makes them shine). The tire dressing works wonders, when I pull my trailer out of the water, it beads up on the tires like they are waxed. There isn't a crack anywhere on my tires and they are 2000 Marathons that have been to Wisconsin, Champlain, and 125 miles RT to my lake (every trip). AND.....the boat is outside most of the summer.

TOXIC

Thats good info Tox....what is the name of the tire dressing you use??

Donnie

I use whatever is on sale but just make sure it is a tire dressing with UV protection. Some of the shiney coatings have it and if you wipe your tires after you apply it, it won't look like you are tring to be "cool" with your trailer...LOL!! I also wash my tires with a degreaser (simple green, purple ....) which gets the road gunk off, then I apply the dressing. The cheap stuff will come off the first time you dunk your tires in the lake, the better stuff will last a while but after a few trips you will need to reapply it. Not a crack on my tires anywhere....

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back