Trailer Tire Pressure Setting?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
I was coming back from fishing on the Hudson River in NY to Boston and found a new gas station on the way and decided to check the tire pressure on my trailer (have a Nitro DC-750).

It dawned on me that I wasn't sure what it should be set at for my trailer and load. Since I didn't have the spec and noticed the tires could carry a max load of 60psi on the sidewall info, I set it at 45psi - I think it was at 36psi or so judging from the guage on the air pump.

My question is whether or not anyone knows what I should really be setting the pressure at. I was going to call my dealer but thought someone here may have a quick answer.

I know on cars and motorcycles, you don't set it by the spec on the tire but on what the vehicle manufacturer's guidance states and figured it would be the same with a boat trailer.

Thanks, Bill, The MadKayaker

60? Are you sure it wasn't 50 PSI?

Reason I ask is most are 50 PSI but, max pressure on a trailer is recomended....

Most trailer tires are 50psi cold and that is what you should run them at, no lower. They take more psi than car tires and are designed to carry more load with a stronger sidewall.

TOXIC

Buy you a hand held gauge to keep it handy. check your air every other trip. it save's you gas a wear and tare on your tire's. I alway go with what the tire preasure say's. I still thing that 45 is too low.

Bill, I just ran into the same thing when I bought new tires for my trailor. These guys said whatever the tire says, do it. It has worked out fine for me.

Jimmy

Bill - you are absolutely correct that for motorcycles and cars/trucks, you go with the placard pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Trailers are the one exception to that general rule. For trailers, go with max PSI on the sidewall of the tire. Also, double check that 60 psi rating. Most are 50psi - some utility trailers are 90psi (yes 90! - my utility trailer has those tires). 60 sounds unusual, but then you have the tire right there, not me!

Wow, thanks for the info. I have Load Star ST205/75 D14 Tires and looked closely at the sidewalls. It was max 50psi not max 60psi so I am glad I only put in 45psi. I read a few trailer forum posts and most of them recommended to follow the sidewall settings although a few said to go a little under if the tires start making noise at high speed. I will put it at 50psi.

Thanks again for the info. Now if I can just get guidance on eye glasses and catching some lunker bass...

Bill, The MadKayaker

Goodyear Marathons - if you pull your boat over 65mph, you need to increase your tire pressue by 10psi.

66-75 mph-- 60psi instead of 50psi

http://goodyear.com/rv/pdf/mar...6.pdf

I've not heard good things about the Goodyears since they come out of China now.

What brand of tire is everyone using? I had a blow out on a goodyear marathon this last weekend and am just curious as to the current thoughts of everyone on the recommended brand?

Back