Trailer rims

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Musto2

Reaction score
Guys..

Question for you..

A friend of mine has a new z-8 not even a year old.. He has four bent rims on the trailer..

They are bent so bad the boat hops at 65mph... Thats how I noticed.. I was towing it to a tourney and my truck was being shaken like a leaf. Has anyone ever heard fo anythign like this happening.. Im thinking it has to be defective materials..

Ive known the guy for years and he is never rough on any of his equipment.. The other things that are making me think this:

1) All four are bent...

2) The tire wear seems to indicate that this happened quite some time ago..

How can you bend all four?

Tracker, as usual, has refused to do anything for him..

Any ideas how this can occur?

Luke

Just so you know, it doesn't necessarily take a long time for significant tire wear to show up.

Are you sure the rims are bent? Could it not be the crappy tires they are using these days? My z7 trailer had some real bad tire wear on the stock Trail America tires and it vibrated and was bounce too. I swapped to good years and its nice and smooth now and no tire wear problems .

Are the tires balanced? A bent rim is pretty easy to spot, any impact hard enough to bend them will sow on the outer rim. My guess is that they are not balanced.

TOXIC

+1 TOXIC

My Z7 wheels bounced around. They were not balanced. If they are bent he must of hit something and not known it.

If it's less than a year old I would email Jeff at Tracker CS. He will direct him in the right area. [email protected]

I have a issue with my Z7 and they are taking care of it even though it's over a year old.

Thanks for the replies..

First thing I originally told him was to have them balanced..

That's what started this...

He took them to one of the shops and they said they couldnt balance them.. Said one had a bad cord and two of the rims were bent..

No nicks or anything showing on the rims. When spun they did kind of wobble though..

He took them it to the dealer where he purchased and they said the rims were bent..

he also took to two different tire places.. Same story.. rims are bent..

I just cant understand it..

I will recommend he email jeff..

Thanks again

Luke

Just an idea. I would have the tires dismounted and do a run out on the rims... mount rim back on trailer,stand a 2x4 or something with a good flat back next to the rim about 1/8" away and spin the rim. If the rims are bent it will show between the item you have up next to it and the rim lip. Old school way but at least you'll know if its the rims or tires that are bad. Good luck!!

I just received my 2011 Nitro Z6 and immediately towed it away for the weekend. I went approx 350 miles round trip and the tyres are totally destroyed! Trail America tyres that are egg shape, bounce like a kid on a trampoline and were ready to self destruct and lucky I made it home. Both sides of both tyres have no tread left at all. I will take some photo's in the morning and post them in my gallery for anyone interested.

I have never seen such inferior and poorly made tyres in my life. Love the boat, goes like stink but lucky it's not upside down on the highway from a blown tyre.

That's not a tire problem, it is more than likely a trailer problem. Get it back to the dealer. If it trashed your tires in 350 miles there is something very wrong and it is more than just tires.

TOXIC

Both sides of both tyres have no tread left at all.

If both inside and outside shoulders are worn down on both tires in 350 miles of travel it sounds more like severe under inflation, lifting the tread path away from the road, is more than likely the culprit, not a particular brand name of tire. ;)

Thanks guys,

I'm just about to put the pics in my gallery and email tracker the same. Since I'm in Australia and imported this boat, taking it back is not an option unfortunately. Definitely not under inflated and when you spin these tyres, they are seriously egg shaped as well.

Have a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts anyway. Appreciate the feedback guys.

Thanks Dan,

And I agree, under inflated tires will wear like this but not in 350 miles, this happens over an extended period of time, also, they aren't close to being round, I'm guessing the cords or something has broken. I'm having them replaced this morning and I'll get the tire shop to give me some feedback.

thanks

Latest posts

Back